lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2014, 08:02 AM   #1
sowilliams
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default EZ Go slow

Decided to start a new thread on this. It was on my Cart Build e tread and was hoping to get a little more input. Sir Nuke thought I was getting about the max output for this setup, And Believe Me I know Sir Nuke Knows A Lot More About Carts Than I Do, he has help me out many times, but I'm not completely satisfied that I shouldn't be getting a little more out of it. I did do a couple more 1 mile test runs last night and did get up to 13 MPH on flat ground. Could it be that the newly rebuilt motor just needs to be broken in or is this just the best I should expect? I did adjust the ITS at Robby at PQ's suggestion but no more than 13 mph so far. Only 5 one mile test runs so far.

New buiuld, not the one in my Sig..Still running very slow, 10 - 11 Mph, after full charge so here's the data:

Series motor, newly rebuilt by Plum Quick
Less than one year old batteries, properly maintained.
Pack voltage 37.9 Each battery 6.2
400 amp Alltrax controller
4 gauge wires
HD solenoid
HD reversing contactor
Brakes are loose, too loose, so not dragging.

Nothing getting hot or even warm for that matter after test run. As I said before it seems to have plenty of power when you hit the pedal but just no speed. Could this be in the plunger adjustment in the ITS?
sowilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2014, 08:16 AM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ Go slow

You need to tell us what rebuild PQ did. If you got it for torque, you won't get the speed, but you'll be able to tackle any hill.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:19 AM   #3
sowilliams
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sorry, Sir Nuke asked the same thing. As far as I know it is just a stock rebuild. Just took it to PQ because it was very worn looking and ask them to rebuild.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:24 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

I'll be watching......maybe something new will pop up.....we all can learn something new now and then. lol
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:27 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

To answer your question, there is no motor break-in period. If you just had them refurb without mods, you should be seeing the same speed you did before. Motors don't really slow down as they age. Bearings and brushes get worn, and the commutator gets dirty and the whole can gets filled up with fine graphite from the brushes, but fixing all of those wouldn't really result in any noticable performance - with the possible exception of really dirty higher resistance commutators.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:44 AM   #6
sowilliams
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Don't know what the speed was before cause cart wasn't running when I got it and did all the upgrades. Just wondering if someone had a similar setup and could tell me what kind of speed I should get.

Sir Nuke, I hope you are not offended that I wanted a "second opinion" !!!
I value your input.

I have email PQ to see if they can tell me just what they did. If it is a standard rebuild I will see what it would take to go to the Bandit. What kind of increase should I see with a Bandit?
Old 06-25-2014, 09:01 AM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

no, not at all.....there are folks here that know a LOT more than me....that's for sure. and you should always seek answers from the group.....as when you keep getting the same types of answers, it gives them more credence, thus you will get a better "warm fuzzy" about the answers you have been given.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #8
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Unless I am missing something 12mph seems slow.

My cart came from the factory as a shuttle. This means it came with a back seat, long roof, HD springs and lights. So, relatively heavy. To compensate the factory installed a curtis 400amp controller, larger solenoid and a 1.87 KW (series) motor. The standard motor is 1.49Kw for that year. In this configuration the cart would run 17mph measured with GPS. This was also the speed advertised by EZGO. I'm sure the speed is the result of the motor, but a stock 1.49 kw motor would surely push the cart to 14-15mph.

I installed a GE D297 motor some years back. I will guess that this motor could be compared roughly to the basic PQ build. This motor pushed the cart to 20MPH at 36v though it needed some time to get up there.

It seems to me that your cart should be in the 17-20 range on stock tires.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:06 AM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

OP shows 6.1 Hp in his sig.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

10-13 mph is standard top speed for stock carts (you didn't post the year)
A PQ bandit is advertised 2-3 mph gain although some people swear they got 10+ ???

Am I following you correctly?
lets recap
old series cart going 10mph
PQ bandit installed
now 13mph
... need more speed? add 2 batteries = + 4 mph
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO