lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2017, 04:10 PM   #1
twilliams81
Gone Wild

Default I have an 05 Precedent that is melting solenoid resistors..any suggestion

Guys I have an 05 Precedent that has melted the solenoid resistor to the point that it was up against the controller and has now put a hole in it and caused the controller to fail. My question is what may have been the cause of it getting so hot? I have another controller I can put on it but I don't want to pop a new one if theres some underlying issue causing this. Has any one else had problems with solenoid resistors getting hot to the point of melting? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
twilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-03-2017, 04:17 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: I have an 05 Precedent that is melting solenoid resistors..any suggestion

If the solenoid contacts don't close all the current will try to go through that resistor when you drive the cart. The large contacts in the solenoid.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:37 PM   #3
twilliams81
Gone Wild

Default Re: I have an 05 Precedent that is melting solenoid resistors..any suggestion

I thought that may be part of the problem...I put my meter on the large solenoid post when the run/tow switch is on TOW and don't have continuity but as soon as I flip the switch to run I instantly have continuity even WITHOUT depressing the pedal.
twilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:54 PM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Something is wrong there. It should only close contacts when pedal is pressed.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:01 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

A melted pre-charge resistor is almost always a sign of a bad controller or motor. When an internal short develops in one of them (motor or controller) it creates an amp load that the pre-charge resistor can not support. When the cart is resting with the solenoid in the open (off) position, the power forces itself through the resistor and causes it to heat up. 99% of the time it's a controller issue, but I've seen several shorted motors cause the problem as well.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:37 PM   #6
kcc865
Not Yet Wild

Is this typically the case of newer models as well Tahoe? JE1439 serial #
kcc865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:06 PM   #7
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
-snip-
99% of the time it's a controller issue, but I've seen several shorted motors cause the problem as well.
My experience also...
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:07 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcc865 View Post
Is this typically the case of newer models as well Tahoe? JE1439 serial #

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:08 PM   #9
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilliams81 View Post
I thought that may be part of the problem...I put my meter on the large solenoid post when the run/tow switch is on TOW and don't have continuity but as soon as I flip the switch to run I instantly have continuity even WITHOUT depressing the pedal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
Something is wrong there. It should only close contacts when pedal is pressed.
Yup, that ain't right unless you have something activating the circuit....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car