lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2019, 04:44 PM   #1
Land Shark
Not Yet Wild

Default 94 Club Car Tran-Sender Electric (6 seater) - 36 to 48 Volt Conversion

Couldn't find a recent thread on this...so I apologize in advance for this. I know you guys have covered it before.
94 Tran-Sender Electric Club Car. It's a lead sled downhill, and a snail going up. Batteries are done....10 years old. Don't want to invest in new 6 volt batteries if there is a way to go 48 volt. Would it increase the performance and would it be worth the expense on a '94? Everything is in great shape body, top, seats, brakes, etc. So I know it would require a new charger. After that, I'm no expert.

Controller is a 2011 FSIP Curtis Model: 1205-113
Serial: 315385 411-4
Voltage 24-36 Current 400 Amps

Motor: Part #1012191
Model # 5BC48JB764
Date Code: 2HN
All good.... cracked it myself to check the bearings.

Solenoid: White-Rogers/RBM
Type 586-117111-3 Coil 36 Volt Continuous

(I have a "53 Chevy PU and just get the 6 volt 12 volt talk going and it's all over the place. I get it. If I'm crazy tell me. I don't think a total running gear change is worth the expense....but it's a great, big cart for hauling family and kids.)

Real world, can I just put a 48 volt charger and 6 - 8 volt batteries and have it run? Will it run better than just putting 6 new 6 volt batteries in it?

What components have to be changed? Should I look for a wrecked Regen cart....is that even possible, or any better? Is it doomed to wander as a 36 volt?

Just hate to see it sit there right now. I appreciate any and all feed back. You folks always have the knowledge out there.

Thanks, Land Shark
Land Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2019, 04:53 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 94 Club Car Tran-Sender Electric (6 seater) - 36 to 48 Volt Conversion

Pretty sure you would have to change the controller and solenoid at minimum to jump up to 48V.
But to make it really come alive, controller, motor, solenoid, and a heavy duty FnR switch or contactor.
If you go that route, the quickest boost would be to do controller first, (same time as the batteries) and the rest can come along later. Also, I'm pretty sure there's room on those to put 8-6V batteries to make it 48V. That would give you better AH capacity than using a 6-8V setup. Might cost a bit more though.

She'll make you scream!
or the wife will...

Most of the other guys here know alot more about the series swaps than I do, I'm sure they'll chime in with the good ideas.

For that big cart you want to stay with a series setup. The regen/sepex swap would add complexity and you would have to spend more on a complete wire harness swap to make that doable, and give you less performance overall. You want the torque to go up hills, the series motor setup is the best to deliver the power for a heavy cart like yours.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:53 PM   #3
Land Shark
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 94 Club Car Tran-Sender Electric (6 seater) - 36 to 48 Volt Conversion

Thanks....great overview to start.

There is room for 2 more 6 volt batteries, just need a little fabricating. Didn't know the advantage that more 6 volt batteries would have over fewer 8 batteries for the same 48 volts. I redid all the harness connections with new connectors when I fist got the cart. Have upgraded the battery connecting cables to 2 gauge.

Looking forward to what other information comes in.
Land Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:41 PM   #4
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Looks to me like a 48v conversion would make sense, heavy cart, 6 passenger, etc. You would need 6 8v batteries (fit in original battery tray and no extra weight) new charger, 500 amp Alltrax controller, HD solenoid, HD F/R switch (or reversing contactor) and a 2 ga. cable set. It's only money!
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:30 PM   #5
HaulnA$$
Getting Wild
Club Car

The 36V controller carts came with the HD F/R switch. If the original is in good shape, it can be cleaned up and reused. Mine was in great shape when I did my conversion so I reused it without issue. See sig. Do the conversion, you won’t be disappointed. The 36V motor running on 48V performs well.
HaulnA$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car