lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-25-2019, 01:18 PM   #1
325WSM
Not Yet Wild

Default Powerdrive 2 charger capability question

Hi everyone,

I have read most of the threads about people bypassing the OBC and all the issues/benefits of doing so. I have one nagging question though.

I have a '95 ds and about a year ago I put in a D&D motor, controller, HD solenoid and 2ga cables. Like others when I couldn't get the 2ga cable through the OBC I just bypassed it. Never thought much of it until I found this site and started reading about it. Anyway when I plug in my Powerdrive charger it jumps to a little over 15amps and as the cart nears what I believe is full charge the amperage will steadily decrease until it reaches full charge. Then the charger will shut off and I have a pack that is always charged at 52.5volts.

It seems to charge my cart the same as it did when the OBC was not bypassed. But the Powerdrive charger is not supposed to be able to do this, correct? Am I missing something? Is 52.5 volts considered a good stopping point for the charger to shut off?

Thanks in advance.
325WSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-25-2019, 01:35 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Powerdrive 2 charger capability question

The Powerdrive2 external box is just a power supply (transformer + rectifier), it has not logic to turn itself on or off.

Did You leave the original 6ga negative cable connected and passing through the OBC and the additional 2ga cable around it?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:44 PM   #3
325WSM
Not Yet Wild

No, there is nothing going through the hole in the OBC.

I do however have the 2ga. cable running very close to the hole in the OBC. I wonder if it is picking up a signal because it is in such close proximity? I assume that hole in the OBC works like a digital clamp meter? Don't know.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:52 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Yes, the hole goes through an inductive pickup in the OBC.
Getting "close" to it, isn't enough. It won't measure the current properly unless the cable is passing through it.

The OBC is not properly charging your pack because of that.

The PD2 should be getting the pack voltage up to around 60V during charging.
The voltage should be increasing as the amperage decreases.

You could try running a new cable through the OBC and crimping a new end on after the cable is through.
Or use an OBC stud kit to get the cable current running through the OBC so it can measure it properly.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:54 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes that opening is where the Hall effect sensor is located, it measures the current as it passes through.

I am surprised it passes the initial test where the OBC turns the charger ON, waits to make sure it senses current flowing, turns the charger OFF, checks the current stopped, then starts the charging cycle.

The charging cycle should take the batteries to 60v+.

You really should install a stud through the OBC so the system works properly.

Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:00 PM   #6
325WSM
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info. I'll certainly put a stud kit in it because after hearing what you just described as the sequence of events the OBC goes through, mine isn't doing what you outlined.

My charger kicks on, climbs to 15-17 amps and stays on until the amperage decreases and shuts off.

It isn't turning on, then off, then back on again to start the charging cycle like you described.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car