lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-26-2019, 04:56 PM   #1
andigity
Not Yet Wild

Default 97 Club Car Precedent Grinding Noise when Coasting

Hello, I am pretty new to fixing a golf cart. I have a 1997 Precedent DS and it runs fine. Goes foward, reverse with switch etc. However, when coasting at high speeds it made a grinding noise. Now it makes the grinding noise whenever driving and I left off the gas pedal.

Brakes are tight. Sounds like from the rear. Causes for a griding noise when coasting. Sounds smooth (not super fast) in forward.

Any help would be great. What to look for, what the solution may be, how to do it. Help. From what I read in other posts, maybe a nut/spacer?
andigity is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-26-2019, 10:03 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 97 Club Car Precedent Grinding Noise when Coasting

That is a Sepex cart and has regen braking that is applied when you are off the pedal as it helps to slow the cart. It is similar to a motor brake and it is applied through the motor be design while also returning some energy back to the pack. I have several and some are louder/nosier then others. The only other thing is sometimes you hear the motor brushes rubbing....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:48 AM   #3
andigity
Not Yet Wild

Thanks! I also read that it could be spacers between the transaxle and the wheel itself or the nuts are loose?

If its the brushes or bearings (as I read that too) easy fix? with common tools and wrenches?

The Golf Cart shop said that this model 1997 DS doesnt have regen braking?

Just tryiung to figure out the grind noise as I dont think its the gears, doesnt sound like that, sounds more like spinning grinding. And when in forward movement with pedal - it sounds smooth, just when release and coast (whether down hill or flat)
andigity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:08 AM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

If it has a FNR switch instead of a lever you have a regen 1 DS cart. They never made the precedent in 97.
The noise could be the noise made by the motor differentrel coupling. First I would jack it up and pull the rear wheels. The brakes could be dragging due to the sliders that center the brake shoes in the drums not moving freely.

If you push the cart real slow it should move really easy on level ground.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:48 AM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Oh, I missed the year, I just saw the Precedent. So you must not have a Precedent as they did not come out till '04. You must have a DS.

Brushes, brake shoes, etc. If it is not dragging when you roll it then it may just be the brushes. There are also bearings in the axle, but they seldom fail.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:51 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

It's either a bad guide ring in the motor or a worn shaft. One or the other can be determined by pulling the motor and seeing whether it has a nylon guide ring in the output shaft or if it's a solid steel shaft. It's it's got the guide ring, replace it. If it's got a solid shaft, order a motor-centering kit and install it. It'll make your noise go away.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axel, coast, grinding
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car