lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-07-2019, 06:14 PM   #1
Allmanac
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Something wacky with 2002 DS steering

I have read several threads about steering and how to properly align the front end. My problem is I only have just a hair over one revolution of the steering wheel to the right before it locks up and I have to put the cart in reverse in order to release the steering back. If I turn the wheel to the left from straight ahead I get about 1 1/2 revolutions of the steering wheel with no binding. I can't see anything bent on the front end but I notice that the rack is not setting level across the front. But the bracket does not look bent but it is not welded evenly across the front. On the drivers side the bracket has about a 1/4 inch overhang and on the passenger side there is about 1/2 inch overhang. Seems kind of weird or is that normal. I can't see anything bent but might any of you see from the pictures what my problem might be?

I swear I cannot figure out why my pictures are upside down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0861.JPG[1].jpg (145.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0862.JPG[1].jpg (153.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0863.JPG[1].jpg (203.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0864.JPG[1].jpg (197.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0865.JPG[1].jpg (182.8 KB, 0 views)
Allmanac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-07-2019, 06:53 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Something wacky with 2002 DS steering

Your steering rack could be off center, or if the rack is actually binding it might have a bunch of dirt or crud in the teeth of the rack preventing it from turning all the way.

The mounting plate does have a bit of an angle to it, that's normal.

Turn it all the way one direction and see if the steering stop on the steering arm is touching against the back of the control arm. It should hit the control arm.
Then turn the other way as far as it will go and check the other side. One side or the other is probably not going all the way to the control arm. Which usually means the rack is off center.

The odd part about these is that the rack is actually NOT perfectly centered when it's in the proper "center position" for the steering. It takes a bit of playing with the U-joint coupler and the tie rod on the rack to get the rack centered just right, but with the rack properly adjusted, you should have exactly 3 full turns from lock to lock, meaning when the stops hit the control arms.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:20 PM   #3
Allmanac
Getting Wild

Club Car

I just installed a RHOX 3" spindal lift and that is when the steering would get stuck at full right turn. But it has always seemed to bind every half turn of the steering wheel in either direction since I bought the cart. Where are the steering locks at on the steering arms. If the steering stop is the piece sticking up in front of the tie rod in the last two pictures it does not come in contact with anything in either direction before the steering stops. I believe the rack runs out of movement in either direction.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:09 PM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

The tie rod connection points on your new lift are extended quite long. This reduces you turn radis. I think they do this to keep you from turning too steep on hill sides thus reducing the chance of turning the cart over. The lift makes a cart more likely to turn over.

Unhook your drag link. The rod that goes from stearing rack to the right wheel.

Now turn the stearing all the way right, then all the way left. Then back half that distance. This should be 1-1/2 turns each way. If the stearing wheel has not been taking off it should wind up straight up.

Now turn the wheels by hand and get them pointed straight ahead.

Now without allowing the wheels or stearing wheel to move adjust the drag link to where it will hook back up. It will adjust from both ends adjust evenly on both ends. This should take care of things.

I'm not very good at explains things in writing I'm sure others could Splain this better.

Hope this helps you get it fixed.

BTW, hold your phone with the home button to the right. 3:00 will make photos upright.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:28 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

That binding feeling is probably from a worn u-joint coupler. The u-joints are binding as the shaft turns. You can try spraying a penetrating oil or silicone grease on the joints and see if that makes a difference. There is also an adjustment for the coupler, if the coupler is too tight it can cause binding. There are three bolts on the coupler that tighten it to the steering shaft, to the steering rack input shaft, and one in the center that adjusts the overall length of the coupler. Loosen the bolt in the middle and turn the wheel back and forth several times and see if that makes a difference in the feel. If it does, retighten the center bolt and turn again. If you still feel binding, turn the wheel until you feel the binding then stop, loosen the center bolt and tap the joint lightly with a hammer or wrench, then retighten the center bolt and check the steering feel again. The binding should be gone. If the binding is still there you need a new coupler because the u-joints are dry or worn and need to be replaced.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:40 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

mrgolf did an excellent job at telling you how to set it, and I will just add it into some steps to help you identify with it.

Gear Box Alignment:
- Block the rear wheels
- Jack up the front end and center the wheels
- Drop the tie-rod end (TRE) coming from the Gear Box (GB) to passenger side spindle
- Center the GB via the steering wheel by going all the way left and then right and then splitting the difference at half way (don't worry how crooked the wheel looks).
- Clamp the GB u-joint/yoke assemble in place so it cannot move
- Now you can see how far the GB TRE is misaligned from the spindle
- Break the jam nuts loose on that adjustment rod behind the dropped TRE
- Turn the rod CW or CCW until the TRE is aligned to the spindle and reinstall the TRE (Note- the wheels must be straight forward and the GB not moved)
- Now you can either remove the steering wheel and realign it if it is splined or you can loosen the GB u-joint/yoke assembly and then turn the wheel until you have it straight and then retighten the assembly.
- Now lower the cart, remove the blocks, drive the cart, and if the steering wheel is perfectly aligned, then reach under the front end and retighten the jam nuts on the GB TRE adjustment rod. If it is not, jack it back up and adjust the rod CW or CCW until the wheel is centered. It will only require a minute amount of adjustment, then tighten the jam nuts and you are back to normal and perfectly aligned!
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:33 AM   #7
Allmanac
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks guys. I will try this this afternoon when I get home from work. I'm pretty sure the guy I bought the cart from did not do much maintenance on the cart when he had it.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:56 PM   #8
Allmanac
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
mrgolf did an excellent job at telling you how to set it, and I will just add it into some steps to help you identify with it.

Gear Box Alignment:
- Block the rear wheels
- Jack up the front end and center the wheels
- Drop the tie-rod end (TRE) coming from the Gear Box (GB) to passenger side spindle
- Center the GB via the steering wheel by going all the way left and then right and then splitting the difference at half way (don't worry how crooked the wheel looks).
- Clamp the GB u-joint/yoke assemble in place so it cannot move
- Now you can see how far the GB TRE is misaligned from the spindle
- Break the jam nuts loose on that adjustment rod behind the dropped TRE
- Turn the rod CW or CCW until the TRE is aligned to the spindle and reinstall the TRE (Note- the wheels must be straight forward and the GB not moved)
- Now you can either remove the steering wheel and realign it if it is splined or you can loosen the GB u-joint/yoke assembly and then turn the wheel until you have it straight and then retighten the assembly.
- Now lower the cart, remove the blocks, drive the cart, and if the steering wheel is perfectly aligned, then reach under the front end and retighten the jam nuts on the GB TRE adjustment rod. If it is not, jack it back up and adjust the rod CW or CCW until the wheel is centered. It will only require a minute amount of adjustment, then tighten the jam nuts and you are back to normal and perfectly aligned!
Well I did exactly as stated and I am about 3/8" off from aligning with the hole for the TRE. There is no more adjustment in the TRE rod. It is all the way in as far as the jamb nuts will allow it. I did however get about 3 1/4 turns out of the steering from stop to stop. Just out of curiosity does tire size have anything to do with these adjustments? Reason I ask is I am still using my 10" wheels with low pro tires until my 20" come in. I wouldn't think that would affect the steering in either direction but I really have no idea. Please excuse the beverage cans on the cart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0866.JPG[1].jpg (239.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0867.JPG[1].jpg (272.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0868.JPG[1].jpg (294.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-08-2019, 05:32 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Tires wont affect it. It works the same regardless of what tires/wheels are on.

You're close but you need to turn the rack about 3/4" to the left (towards the drivers side) After that adjust the tie rod end out until it meets with your steering arm.
Adjust your wheel position by sliding the u-joint coupler off of the rack and then turn the wheel straight or turned just slightly to the right, and re-install. Then readjust the tie rod end so the wheel is straight.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:42 PM   #10
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Exactly as Ft4m stated. The U-joint is your best fried in these scenarios as it gives you the ability to make up the final rough adjustment between the steering wheel centerline and and rack. Then after your test drive, any minute (fine tuning) adjustments are done with the GB TRE.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car