lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-24-2019, 01:52 AM   #1
Dodge1812
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Battery question for 48volt pack

What should a 48volt club car ds battery pack read while at rest . What is a good pack range to have and how do you know if batteries are bad?
Dodge1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-24-2019, 02:21 AM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Battery question for 48volt pack

Your batteries are toast. We have beaten this horse to death several times.

Your batteries are now core batteries. Your batteries are dead. Gone. Need replacing.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:22 AM   #3
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge1812 View Post
What should a 48volt club car ds battery pack read while at rest . What is a good pack range to have and how do you know if batteries are bad?
This question has been answered many times. Do a search for battery voltage or something similar. Also look at the Stickies, there is one called http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...batteries.html

To summarise, the voltage at rest will be around 50.9V (or higher for US Battery). Each battery will be about 8.49V (again slightly higher for US Battery).
Each battery should be almost the same (e.g. if one battery measured about 8.3V instead of 8.49V then it is only at about 75% charge - see the tables, the second one is for US Battery). If all the rest were at 8.49V and one or two were at 8.3 or less then you have some poor batteries and the pack is not balanced. You might be able to recover that for a while by charging those batteries separately until they read like the rest but if they are at 7.5V or less then they have certainly had it.

To measure the voltage at rest, charge the batteries, remove the charger (and make sure that nothing else is running) and do not move the cart for at least 12 hours. Now measure the voltages and they are the "at rest" voltages that you need.

If you have two batteries that are lower than the rest it is usually caused by having accessories running off those two batteries instead of having a 48V to 12V reducer (which uses the whole pack instead of just two batteries).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOC battery-state-of-charge.jpg (56.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png SOC US Battery SoC table.png (185.3 KB, 0 views)
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:31 AM   #4
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

I think MC and Nole have helped you immensely in your other thread and we all know your batteries are toast.

To further any more progress on your cart or to get more than 30 minutes of run time you're gonna have to crack your wallet open now. Your new charger isn't going to bring those batteries back from the dead.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:52 AM   #5
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Since you know your current batteries are toast, are you asking this because you are looking at buying used batteries from someone? Not sure why you are asking is all, looking through your other thread where it was determined your batteries are toast. Volt readings do not equate to amp hours (run time).

If you're asking to further educate yourself on batteries pertaining to golf carts:
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-break-in-.html
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-info.html
These links have great information you can learn from, as well as the information yawood posted.

If you use the search tool, there are many other threads on here pertaining to batteries. Lot's of great information. There are too many other threads to find and link to on this thread.

Or is there another reason you're asking?
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:24 AM   #6
Dodge1812
Gone Wild
Club Car

While I know mooncarter and others have helped me a lot I cannot believe you guys would be attacking me like that. I understand the batteries are toast and it was just a simple question to ask. It was not to try to think the batteries could be resrected or have some magic power from my new yewy to have new batteries. It was just a simple question. As the post had asked no more. Knowledge is power again just a simple question...
Old 02-24-2019, 12:59 PM   #7
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
While I know mooncarter and others have helped me a lot I cannot believe you guys would be attacking me like that. I understand the batteries are toast and it was just a simple question to ask. It was not to try to think the batteries could be resrected or have some magic power from my new yewy to have new batteries. It was just a simple question. As the post had asked no more. Knowledge is power again just a simple question...
Dodge, I think you are taking the statements wrong from Veteran/Experienced members that feel this question (or a simulation there of) has been gone over numerous times. It is not to "attack" you and to be honest, that remark disappoints me immensely since we have all bent over backwards to help you, including the repeated answers to in-kind questions.

I can assure you I am not attacking you, but I will say I went back through your thread(s) and found at least four (4) posts that related to what you just asked above. I think everyone here likes you, and knowledge is power, but if you would take a few more minutes to re-review previous information or do a simple search, I thinking the reading would give you a vast knowledge, including separate opinions, on many things you are or have asked.

I hope you understand this and take it in the spirit that it is presented, but above all, I hope you research and learn all you can from this site to make your carting experience all it can be......
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:56 AM   #8
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I sincerely hope my post did not offend you. If it did, I am sorry.

I, like you, am new to carts. As of this past July. So like you, have been trying to soak in all the information on here and ask questions. I don't know all the particulars when it comes to lead acid batteries, as I stopped researching them when I decided to go with lithium batteries. So I cannot offer advice to lead acid batteries specifically.

One thing all batteries have in common, is they lose amp hours over time/charge cycles. I brought up the fact that Volt readings do not necessarily equate to amp hours (run time), because I did not see where that was really explained in detail. As far as batteries lose amp hours over time/charge cycles. My thought was to bring that up so you could look into it and gain more knowledge. I could/should have been more clear about that.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:47 PM   #9
Dodge1812
Gone Wild
Club Car

It is all good you guys I understand that you are helping me out and I do really appreciate all the help. It's like a golf cart family here and I like reading all the post even if I don't have that problem at that current time. We all need help in one way or another on here that's why we're all here to learn from each other. Thank you all and I hope to stay close friends.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:33 PM   #10
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Now get that cart all done so we can here the final results!! :0)
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car