lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2019, 05:51 PM   #21
rickstwowheels
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Cart new to me, new set of batteries full charge barely moves

The smaller (-) cable I am assuming is the OBC bypass. It was there when I bought the cart and I assumed that what what it was. It runs into a nice wire loom that I didn't want to take apart so I decided to test by attaching the new charger knowing that if the OBC was not bypassed it would not charge. Since the charger charged for 4-5 hours and then went into float, I assumed it was the bypass. I can track it down if need to.

I will re-route and re-order the wiring as you suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Where your main pack Negative cables are attached, there should only be ONE cable there. Where do the two large cables go? One of those should go to B- terminal on the controller.
The small wire looks like either charger negative for the OBC bypass, or the negative for the voltage reducer. Where does that come from? If that's charger negative, Usually that also gets connected to the B- terminal on the controller as it is closer to the original location of the end of the wire where it went into the OBC. If it's the reducer negative, make sure the large cable is installed first, so it has direct contact with the battery post. The high amperage cables need to be first on the battery or they will not move current effectively and will also heat up and can melt the terminal.

The main pack Positive connections looks like you have the main cable, Charge lead, and supply lead for the voltage reducer. Same thing here as above, make sure the LARGE cable is FIRST in direct contact with the post. The smaller cables can be over that.

On battery in the front left corner of the tray you have a cable routed so the insulation is touching the other post on the battery, loosen and re-route that cable so it is well away from the other terminal. Those cables will move as the cart bounces around and if that insulation rubs through you will have a direct short of that battery. That will either cause a fire or cause the battery to explode. DO the same with ALL of the cables, make sure they are routed so they are NOT NEAR other battery terminals.
rickstwowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2019, 08:16 PM   #22
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstwowheels View Post
-snip-
It is a little hard to explain but it wasn't exactly like it went a few feet and stopped, it kept trying and would keep moving if we pushed it, it just did not have any power.
Hold on. That sounds like a Controller or Potentiometer issue....

If you have checked the other things, then with key switch On, Fwd/Rev rocker switch in the Fwd position (and also have the back jacked up off the ground). Get your DVM and place the black (–) probe at the motor A2 (white wire) and connect the red (+) probe at the motor A1 (green wire) and slowly depress the Go Pedal. When you hear the click, the voltage reading should increase from ~5vdc gradually going up to approximately ~45-48vdc (could be higher) with the accelerator pedal fully pressed.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:16 PM   #23
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

If you have a dynamic braking solenoid it can fail to close and the cart will try to run by pulling power through the coil which will make the cart very slow.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:07 PM   #24
rickstwowheels
Not Yet Wild

With the battery pack at 50.9 volts before the test, advancing the accelerator resulted in readings from 0.6v to 20.6v at full throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Hold on. That sounds like a Controller or Potentiometer issue....

If you have checked the other things, then with key switch On, Fwd/Rev rocker switch in the Fwd position (and also have the back jacked up off the ground). Get your DVM and place the black (–) probe at the motor A2 (white wire) and connect the red (+) probe at the motor A1 (green wire) and slowly depress the Go Pedal. When you hear the click, the voltage reading should increase from ~5vdc gradually going up to approximately ~45-48vdc (could be higher) with the accelerator pedal fully pressed.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:11 PM   #25
rickstwowheels
Not Yet Wild

Although I am not sure this is the way to test the solenoid, I get 50.9v from each large pole of the solenoid to the (-) battery pack with the switch on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
If you have a dynamic braking solenoid it can fail to close and the cart will try to run by pulling power through the coil which will make the cart very slow.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:11 PM   #26
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

The coil connects both sides together. But the coil will not allow enough amps to drive the cart. You can connect both cables to the same side to test to see if that is your problem.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:16 PM   #27
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
With the battery pack at 50.9 volts before the test, advancing the accelerator resulted in readings from 0.6v to 20.6v at full throttle.
There would be your problem..... Now we need to see why its not getting to the motor from the controller. There is only two (2) things that can cause it. 1- The DB solenoid mrgolf referenced is bad (you can disconnect the White cable and retest using that terminal for A2 and A1 at the motor or connect both the white cables together and retest A1 & A2 at the motor again. 2- Would be the potentiometer has failed and is not sending the 100% signal to the controller and telling the motor to get full voltage.

Note- Make sure all your throttle linkage is in place under the cart and not sagging or slopping to the point it is not fully actuating the potentiometer.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:10 PM   #28
rickstwowheels
Not Yet Wild

Thanks man, I will do some more testing and post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
There would be your problem..... Now we need to see why its not getting to the motor from the controller. There is only two (2) things that can cause it. 1- The DB solenoid mrgolf referenced is bad (you can disconnect the White cable and retest using that terminal for A2 and A1 at the motor or connect both the white cables together and retest A1 & A2 at the motor again. 2- Would be the potentiometer has failed and is not sending the 100% signal to the controller and telling the motor to get full voltage.

Note- Make sure all your throttle linkage is in place under the cart and not sagging or slopping to the point it is not fully actuating the potentiometer.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:15 PM   #29
rickstwowheels
Not Yet Wild

Is this the DB solenoid? I only see one white wire, but diclosure I do not have the cart with me, just looking at pictures.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:12 PM   #30
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Is this the DB solenoid? I only see one white wire, but diclosure I do not have the cart with me, just looking at pictures.
That look like it. There would be a resistor coil being fed from it. Here is a print.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg regen1powerdrive_plus.jpg (113.3 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car