lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-06-2019, 12:40 PM   #1
tradewindsre
Not Yet Wild

Default Can I buy three new 12V instead of six 6V?

Hi Everyone...and thank you in advance for any help you can give. I bought an old electric club car for my warehouse that has six old 6v batteries that need to be replaced.

Do I have to buy six 6v batteries..or can I buy three 12v batteries? Some people I have asked have said no..and others yes.

I greatly appreciate any and all advice you can give.

Thank you,

Matt
tradewindsre is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-06-2019, 01:21 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Can I buy three new 12V instead of six 6V?

Assuming you mean 12v golf cart batteries, because if you mean 12v automotive or boat batteries the answer is a resounding NO.

Something to know about batteries and amperage capacity. 1st thing is amperage (capacity) is the volume of transferable energy contained in a battery. Amperage is what is consumed when the golf cart motor runs.

So a 6v battery can hold 200-245 amp hours and a 12v battery can hold between 104 and 120 amp hours. The run time will be significantly less on the 12 volts... Will it work? > Yes.

I hope this helps. For more golf cart info go to https://www.cartsunlimited.net/
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #3
tradewindsre
Not Yet Wild

Yes Im sorry...I definitely mean golf cart batteries.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:42 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

No need to be sorry - we hear some crazy stuff here ..... you will find your answer in my reply above.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:06 AM   #5
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

As Scotty said, they will work but won't give the same run time.

When you connect batteries they can be connected in parallel or series. If you connect them in parallel then the voltage stays the same but the amp hours are added. If you connect them in series then the amp hours stay the same but the voltages are added.

Using two Trojan batteries as an example, the Trojan T105 is 6V and 225Ah whereas the Trojan T1275 is 12V and 150Ah.

You have a 36V cart with the power provided by 6 x 6V batteries connected in series. So the voltages are added, hence 6 x 6V to give you the 36V. The amp hours of your 6V battery is 225Ah and for 6 this stays the same so your pack has 36V and 225Ah.

If you used 3 x 12V batteries again the voltages would be added giving you 36V but the Ah would stay the same (which for the 12V batteries is 150Ah). So your pack would have 36V but only 150Ah.

This all means that your cart would run (they both give 36V) but the 6 x 6V battery pack will give you 50% more run time than the 3 x 12V pack.

That is the theory of it, in practice there are slight variations as other factors come into account, but the principle is the same.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:47 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

As said, yes you can use 12V batteries instead of 6V batteries. But you will get substantially less range/runtime with the 12v batteries.

Also, 12V batteries are quite a bit more expensive than the 6V batteries. Price would not be much different going 3 12v instead of 6 6v so it's not much of a decision.

Would be about the same as saying the gas tank in your car has rusted through. A new 5 gallon tank is $450 but a 15 gallon tank is $500. (using arbitrary numbers) power and performance will be the same either way but you'll go a lot further on the 15 gallon tank.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:44 AM   #7
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

A 6V 245ah battery has almost the exact same amount of power as a 12V 120ah battery. 1.47 Kw for 6V and 1.44 Kw for 12V. Where the difference comes in is that you will only use 3 12v batteries but you will need to use six 6V batteries to get the required 36V. So the run time will be almost cut in half with 12V batteries
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:50 AM   #8
tradewindsre
Not Yet Wild

Ok...Thank you so much!

I read a review of this battery (Mighty Max Battery ML35-12 - 12V 35AH U1 Deep Cycle AGM Solar Battery Replaces 33Ah, 34Ah, 36Ah brand product)

as the best 12V battery for golf carts (batteryasking.com/best-golf-cart-batteries/)

but it says its a solar battery. I use the attached golf cart battery charger..would it work? I only use my golf cart lightly back and forth between warehouses so I dont use it very much. I of course like the price of those little mighty max batteries considering my limited use.

Do you think I could buy three of those little mighty max batteries and would my charger be able to charge them?

Thank you a ton again for all your help and guidance.

Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf cart charger.jpg (217.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-08-2019, 11:17 AM   #9
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Matt, just wanted to let you know about that charger you have. With it only being a 5A charger it will not have the amperage to properly bulk charge the battery pack; it's likely fine to top off the pack, but you need to hit the pack with 15A or better during the bulk phase to properly convert the battery chemistry.
Charging only with the 5A charger will significantly reduce the long-term performance of the battery pack.
Brob1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:39 PM   #10
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Matt I don't think those batteries will meet your needs. First it's stamped on the case 10.5amps max. Which means it probably isn't enough to get you moving. Second they are sealed batteries which means you can't use the charger you are showing. Once the batteries start bubbling the pressure might build up and crack the case. You will need a AGM Charger You would be better off to get three Trojan or USB 12v 120ah batteries. My 2 cents.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car