lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2019, 02:51 PM   #1
cartesian
Not Yet Wild

Question Wiring head and tail lights through same rocker switch?

I've searched and searched the forum but can't find the answer.

2005 DS / IQ 48v. I've installed voltage reducer, blue sea fuse block w/negative bus and working as expected testing w/volt meter. The info found here has been very helpful!

The cart already had head/tail lights, the headlights have the h3 halogen bulbs, not sure if they're "factory" or not.

I'm installing mictuning 5-pin switch and trying to get it working with all lights:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I wire to head or rear lights only, the lights work, but if I wire both I keep blowing 15a fuse in the block. This should be doable, correct?

I have the positives from each set pigtail'd and connected to the out pin (#3). The negatives from each set and the neg from bus are pigtailed to single wire going to switch negative pin (#7). I think I need to run the negatives from lights directly to the bus, and the switch negative directly to bus separately, but doesn't seem like the negatives would cause the overload?

FYI, the lights were originally wired through a simple toggle and relay but don't think I need this relay any longer.

Thanks for any help / advice you can give.
cartesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-09-2019, 03:44 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Wiring head and tail lights through same rocker switch?

That may be too much for a 15 amp fuse, what is the wattage on those halogen bulbs, 55w each?

You better off leaving the existing relay in place with its contact power coming directly from a separate fuse on the fuse block.

You can then wire the relay coil to the new switch #3 terminal so it is controlled by the same switch with the tail lights.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:02 PM   #3
cartesian
Not Yet Wild

I think they are the 55w bulbs. I see what you're saying, I'll give that a shot. Thanks!
Old 04-10-2019, 01:58 PM   #4
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

if you can find a led replacement bulb the 15 amp fuse will be fine and draw on the batteries will be a fifth of the halogen draw
chances are the led's will be brighter too :D
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:36 PM   #5
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ogre View Post
if you can find a led replacement bulb the 15 amp fuse will be fine and draw on the batteries will be a fifth of the halogen draw
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:45 AM   #6
cartesian
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ogre View Post
Thanks, that's what I'm working on now. I rewired the negatives and it's working right now. Blew both bulbs last week somehow so just tested with meter for now. Also broke one of the headlamp lens. Anyone recognize this light kit? All the H3 led lights I've found seem like much lower lumens. Considering doing some type of mod to change bulb type. Thanks again.

IMG_20190411_084231.jpg IMG_20190411_084017.jpgIMG_20190411_083931.jpgIMG_20190411_083940.jpg
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car