lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2019, 12:22 PM   #1
FLBeachBum
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Recommendations for a 30mph Beach Cart

Hi all, I am a long time lurker first time poster. Wanted to say this site is really technical and insightful, thank you for past contributions and hours of reading for me!

Anyway my parents recently retired to the beach and I would like to build the a cart for daily transportation on the island. I have read a lot, but I figured posting my end goal and your imput would be the best. I have automotive skills, some electrical skills, plenty of tools and limited mostly by time. My thought was to purchase a 2015+ 2 seat electric golf course precedent and modify to their needs.

Anyway here are my goals with the cart:
30+ mph
6 seater (I take my kids and wife down to see them often)
Street legal
Aluminum frame (hence precedent)
On road only (no beach access for motorized vehicles)

I like working on things and learning new skills so I would prefer to build. Plus when anything goes wrong I should be able to track it down and fix. Let me know and tips or changes you would make to this. Budget is ~$6-7k
FLBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-17-2019, 05:58 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Recommendations for a 30mph Beach Cart

That is an easy budget to meet your goals if you are just mentioning the "upgrade" portion. If you are meaning cart and upgrades, you may be tight based on what you pay for the purchased cart.

To get the speed you want and power you will need for six (6) passengers you will need a lot of things (30 mph may be too much with 6 passengers):
Alltrax XCT500 Controller
400a solenoid
2g Cables
Plum Quick Rino or Raging Bull (FSIP Torque motor may work)
Either a higher geared rear end or 22" tires
And a strong pack or Lithium upgrade.

David Hicks at Revolution Golf Cars does similar upgrades routinely and can tell you what has been working well for his upgrades. Give him a call for the the best advice, guidance and parts. David Hicks - Revolution Golf Cars 706-431-3917.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:42 PM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
That is an easy budget to meet your goals if you are just mentioning the "upgrade" portion. If you are meaning cart and upgrades, you may be tight based on what you pay for the purchased cart.

To get the speed you want and power you will need for six (6) passengers you will need a lot of things (30 mph may be too much with 6 passengers):
Alltrax XCT500 Controller
500a solenoid
2g Cables
Plum Quick Rino or Raging Bull (FSIP Torque motor may work)
Either a higher geared rear end or 22" tires
And a strong pack or Lithium upgrade.

David Hicks at Revolution Golf Cars does similar upgrades routinely and can tell you what has been working well for his upgrades. Give him a call for the the best advice, guidance and parts. David Hicks - Revolution Golf Cars 706-431-3917.
I'd be glad to assist in any way that I can.

Its doable for sure, especially in the flat lands of Florida.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:43 PM   #4
FLBeachBum
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks Nole Fan (nener thought I'd say that, I'm UF lol) anyway I I had a feeling that I would need to move to a 500 amp controller and at least 14" tires.

If I kept it 4 passenger do you think I could run ~30mph with the alltrax 500 and stock motor?
Old 04-17-2019, 07:46 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBeachBum View Post
Thanks Nole Fan (nener thought I'd say that, I'm UF lol) anyway I I had a feeling that I would need to move to a 500 amp controller and at least 14" tires.

If I kept it 4 passenger do you think I could run ~30mph with the alltrax 500 and stock motor?
Buggiesgonewild.com is the only place a Seminole, a Gator, and a Dawg can all get along....
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:04 PM   #6
beachguysc
Getting Wild

Club Car

You will definitely get the best advice from the guys like Nole and David that have already responded. But I was just in your shoes and wanted pretty much what you are asking for, except the 6 seater part. I did get most of my parts form David, including Alltrax 400, solenoid, cables, voltage reducers, etc. He’s a great supplier and was available for phone calls to walk me through installing things that were above my head. I only wish I had spent the few extra dollars to get a 500amp. Then I would have had more motor options. But I didn’t know I wanted to get to 30 until I got up to 25/26 with the 400 Alltrax and stock engine. I ended up sending my stock motor to EMP for an upgrade and can achieve 30 on a slight downhill( 28 constant). I only have 20” tires, so if I upgraded to 22 or 23’s, I would be well over 30. But I like being lower to the ground. The one upgrade I wish I had done is front disc brakes. Because going over 30 may need more stopping power than the rear drum brakes provide. I really like my 3” Allsports lift, but to add disc brakes, I would have to have a different lift that has support for front brakes. I believe there are a couple of other lift companies that have front disc mounts. Oh, and if kids will be driving it, get the fkns selector so you can lock it to Lower speeds for some drivers.
beachguysc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:30 PM   #7
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBeachBum View Post
Thanks Nole Fan (never thought I'd say that, I'm UF lol) anyway I had a feeling that I would need to move to a 500 amp controller and at least 14" tires.

WTH! GATOR!! well just go ahead and throw your money right out the window....

Seriously though, I think you are referring to 14" wheels and not tire height. You will have to increase tire height to bring the RPM's down enough to allow the speed you want. The stock 18.5" tires and 12.3:1 gear ratio will not support the RPM's needed for this. With an Alltrax XCT500, 22" tires, I know you can get ~27/28mph as I have had several to do it. But the motor was limited and burned up in a short time as that is too much for stock. The amperage has to be limited to about 350a. I have a PQ Executioner and I can run 4 people on my cart, but that's all it wants with its set-up and would never take 6. (My lithium pack supports this)
Old 04-17-2019, 09:31 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Buggiesgonewild.com is the only place a Seminole, a Gator, and a Dawg can all get along....
How true....
Old 04-19-2019, 10:36 AM   #9
FLBeachBum
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Hi all, thank you for the insight and posting some recommendations. I just picked up a 2016 precedent with 2018 batteries this morning. The only thing on it is a "speed code" and the lighting kit. Looks like it just rolled off the green.. and it is still green..

I already have an order for:
4" lift
20.5" tires/10" wheels
rear seat
grab bar
seatbelts
wiper
DOT windshield
HD springs

I think I'm going to hold off on the 6 seat conversion for now until we determine it is absolutely necessary. I rode in a 6 and I thought it flexed a little too much, but I'm not sure on the quality of the install.

This weekend will be teardown/drive around neighborhood with nothing on to see how fast it will go!

Dave, I look forward to speaking with you later today on the Alltrax equipment.

-Drew
Old 04-19-2019, 07:05 PM   #10
passthru
Gone Wild

Club Car

These guys wont steer your wrong. The guidance you get may be expensive but it will be worth your while.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
passthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car