lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2019, 07:30 PM   #1
Atrivett
Not Yet Wild

Default Back up lights

This may have been talked about before, but I was trying to hook up backup lights on my DS 2002. I was hoping to use the back up buzzer. I got the lights to come on when the lever is in reverse but when the lever is in forward the lights stay on. Is the backup buzzer a capacitor that stores power? Anybody got any ideas. Thanks
Atrivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2019, 07:04 AM   #2
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Back up lights

The buzzer is operated on 48v and your backup lights are most likely 12v. You need to get a 48v relay and diode.

Something like these or the ones in the picture below will work, T9AP1D52-48-03 Relay Power and and NTE Electronics 1N4002 Standard Recovery Rectifier Diode.

"Sergio" has some good tutorials on stress free connections for attaching the diode and relay wiring.

You place the relay coil in parallel with the buzzer (48v) to the relay contacts, they are the smaller spade terminals. The line on the diode should be on the + buzzer wire.

Add a 12v supply from your DC converter to the common spade terminals and your + light wire to the switched spade terminal. Complete the circuit by running the lights (-) to a pack B-.

There's a lot of info on the forum about this one.

I've done this to my wife's precedent and it works great but is not safe for all carts. I was looking at doing it to my Ezgo RXV. Luckily I asked first because the RXV uses a pulsed DC signal vice 48v to operate the buzzer and I could have smoked my controller. Who would've guessed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:18 AM   #3
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Mooncarter recently did this. Here is a link to a post in his thread where it starts to get into the technical information between him and Sergio, and possibly others, on how he did it. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/desig...ml#post1578733

Pretty sure he'll chime in anyway. He is always helping people on here!
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:48 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

There was an underlying condition as to why the setup I recommended on that thread for Moorcarter worked, he does not have a reverse buzzer.

If You have a reverse buzzer connected to the micro-switch and try to use it to provide the negative for both the buzzer and the 12v lights, when the switch is OFF, You are feeding +48v through the reverse buzzer and into the 12v lights negative wire (as they are both connected to the same switch).

The voltage drop on the reverse buzzer does not allow the lights to initially turn ON, but once the lights are ON, and if they have a driver that is polarity insensitive, they will remain ON once you remove the negative and back feed the weak signal through the buzzer.

The best option as suggested is to use a +48v relay to switch the +12v load:
Relay: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...55-T9AP1D52-48

Diode: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...Y4ludURuChfDtC
Please notice the relay uses 3/16" quick connectors for the coil and 1/4" quick connectors for the contacts.

That will allow you to use high power reverse lights if wanted without damaging the micro-switch.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:32 PM   #5
Atrivett
Not Yet Wild

The lights I have are 48 volt lights. I hooked them up to a switch for now. Thank you for your help. I will keep trying.
Atrivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:48 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrivett View Post
The lights I have are 48 volt lights. I hooked them up to a switch for now. Thank you for your help. I will keep trying.
The circuit and parts are exactly the same, the only difference is that you run your +48v wire for the lights through the relay contact instead of the +12v positive wire.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car