lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2019, 07:22 AM   #1
Pepe30269
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Right battery charger to individually boost batteries

Hello Folks:

2016 Club Car DS, 6 8v batteries = 48 v. Batteries are too low to get charger to kick. I tried a 12v charger but didn't work - batteries never got warm nor did they charge. I was told that the new rapid chargers won't work.
So hoping to buy the right charger today... Home Depot was where I was going. They have 12-Volt 750mA Battery Tender Junior for $40. Will that work?

thanks Mike
Pepe30269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2019, 08:02 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Right battery charger to individually boost batteries

Your 12v charger should work but initially you may need to charge more than one battery at the time.

If You are using a Powerdrive charger with the OBC, disconnect the negative battery cable during this procedure so the OBC will reset while you charge the batteries.

Measure the individual batteries and connect the charger to 2 or 3 batteries in series (no need to disconnect any other cables).

So if 3 batteries in series measure more than 12v, connect the charger to just 2 of them in series and keep moving the charger to a different pair once they are charged.

You only need 6v per battery for a total of 36v for the OBC to start charging.

Once all batteries are charged connect the pack negative cable back and use the regular charger.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:47 AM   #3
Pepe30269
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

HI Sergio:

Thanks for the reply. These are 8v batteries, 6 x 8 = 48. Should I still charge two at a time?

Mike
Old 05-17-2019, 12:30 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Sergio is offline right no so I will answer for him. His point was the 12v charger can be used on any battery(ies) not up to 12 volts. On your 8 volt battery hook it to each one for 10 mins or so just to bring the total pack voltage up to >36 volts as that is all that is required for the relay to close in and the OBC to start charging the pack.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:39 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks Nole, the point was if a single battery voltage is too low for your 12v charger to recognize, simply place the 12v charger across 2 batteries that are connected in series.

I am not sure what cart you have exactly since I believe the DS was already discontinued in 2016.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:10 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe30269 View Post
Hello Folks:

2016 Club Car DS, 6 8v batteries = 48 v. Batteries are too low to get charger to kick. I tried a 12v charger but didn't work - batteries never got warm nor did they charge. I was told that the new rapid chargers won't work.
So hoping to buy the right charger today... Home Depot was where I was going. They have 12-Volt 750mA Battery Tender Junior for $40. Will that work?

thanks Mike
No, a 750ma charger is nothing more than a trickle charger/maintainer, it won't do a thing for you in this case. Even a 2A charger might not do it, or it will take a very long time if it does anything.
It might keep your car or truck battery topped off but it's not going to recharge anything that's low on voltage.

You need a 10A manual 12v charger to revive dead cart batteries. They still sell them at Walmart and some places like Tractor Supply or other agriculture supply stores probably still have them. Alot of the new digital smart chargers will not charge if the battery voltage is too low, and most of the 12V type will not recognize an 8V battery anyway.

An old style 10A charger should be able to bring each one up to voltage in about 10-15 minutes. If it takes longer than that per battery they're probably not worth trying to save.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:27 PM   #7
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
-snip-
I am not sure what cart you have exactly since I believe the DS was already discontinued in 2016.
Yeah, '13 was the last year I know of....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:52 PM   #8
Pepe30269
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

here is the serial #start XF-1640
Old 05-18-2019, 10:26 PM   #9
Pepe30269
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thank you FairTax, that's exactly what I need to know. So looks like I am two trickle chargers in to this but I can take the one I bought today back to Wally World. Will any of these chargers work? These are my options at Home Depot. Thank you. mike
Attached Images
File Type: png chargers.png (543.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-24-2019, 07:06 AM   #10
Pepe30269
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I can't seem to get the right battery charger for this. I finally bought one a Home Depot and it still doesn't seem to work if the batteries are too low. I was able to get three of the batteries charged but the other three flash on RECONDITION I guess because the voltage is too low. Where can I find a charger that doesn't require minimal voltage to charge?
Sergio, I think I figured out what you were advising. IF there isn't enough voltage from one battery, charge to two in sequence so as to get enough voltage to activate the charger?

This is my latest purchase.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DE...15BD/205431782

Best Seller
BLACK+DECKER
15 Amp Battery Charger with 40 Amp Engine Start
4.1 out of 5
(365) Write a Review
Questions & Answers (54)
Delivers 3 stage charging (fast charge, to top-off, and trickle)
Features a digital LCD screen that displays charging status
Perfect for motor homes, jet skis, lawn tractors and generators
$
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car