lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2019, 09:49 AM   #1
troglodyte
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Default Another "Which tire size?" question

Stock 2003 Club Car DS with 1" front block and 1 1/2" extended shackles.

What size tire should I run to get as much ground clearance as possible and not tear anything up in the process?

Here is the backstory if you want to know:

We are a Children's Home (orphanage) and were donated a 2003 DS. I am currently (hopefully temporarily) using it for a maintenance/grounds vehicle. We get to work with what we have and donations are a big part that. One thing I needed though was a little more ground clearance to navigate curbs and a back road a little easier. Since the rear tires are just about shot I figured I'd put on some larger tires to gain a little clearance.

Based on threads here, I installed a 1" lift block on the front and homemade 1 1/2" extended shackles on the rear.

I have been told not to run over 20" tires because it will fry the motor or controller or something. I don't even know if I can run larger than 20" tires with the humble lift I put on. I've seen posts that say 22" will fit and will run fine as long as I don't get crazy. Most of my travels are from cottage to cottage and I'm never moving for that long. Most trips at top speed (a whopping 10 mph) are less than 5 minutes. We are flat terrain so, aside from the occasional drainage ditch, I won't be navigating any hills.

I'm not going to become a "cart-o-holic" but I do find them interesting to tinker with and can see where they could become very addictive. I appreciate the vast knowledge on this site and appreciate how it can help us at the Home when we get the next donated cart.
troglodyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2019, 10:12 AM   #2
Allmanac
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Another "Which tire size?" question

I would say going with 20" and you should be just fine going over curbs unless they are monster curbs . 22" sounds like you would be pushing it. I have 20" All terrain tires with 10" wheels but with a 4" lift on my cart (2002 DS) with plenty of room in the wheel wells. You should be good with the lift you have installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0890.jpg (254.8 KB, 0 views)
Allmanac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:45 AM   #3
swm63
Gone Wild

Default Re: Another "Which tire size?" question

With the lift you have, you should be fine with 20" tires. I just did the same to my daughters 2008 DS.

PS: The cart's pink now. I'll be posting pics soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170705_174554.JPG (275.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170705_174605.JPG (492.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170705_174618.JPG (505.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170705_180129.JPG (327.9 KB, 0 views)
swm63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car