lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2019, 02:41 PM   #1
noserider
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Adjusting toe

Been tinkering with my neighbors spindle lifted Precedent. Replaced the front bushings. When I set the toe it changes after I take it for a spin. Driving impressions the cart felt squirrely with a slight turn of the wheel. It tracks straight. I readjusted the toe out a little and went for another spin. This actually cured the squirrely problem but now the wheel feels a little stiff to turn. Unfortunately, I have never driven this cart before so I don't have anything to compare it to. I'm thinking I my have changed the toe a little to much and tweaking it back the other way might be worth a shot. Any advice?
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2019, 02:50 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Adjusting toe

You should be 1/8" to 1/4" toed in to the front. You can check this by measuring the back of the front tires center to center and then measure the front (180 degrees). You can measure from the outside edges if it is easier.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:09 PM   #3
noserider
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
You should be 1/8" to 1/4" toed in to the front. You can check this by measuring the back of the front tires center to center and then measure the front (180 degrees). You can measure from the outside edges if it is easier.
Thanks Nole. I have been setting the toe the way you suggested. I even bought some marking pens and measured half way up the tire height and marked them in the center on each tire. Take my measurement and then roll the cart forward and use the same marks to measure the rear of the fronts. Problem is after I take it for a ride the toe measurements change. Just trying to get it close with measurements and then adjust based on road test results. I even took close up pics to be able to count the threads on each side to ensure equal turning radius.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:24 PM   #4
pattyandrick
Getting Wild

May be something loose in the linkage.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
pattyandrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:29 PM   #5
noserider
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyandrick View Post
May be something loose in the linkage.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
I disassembled pretty much the entire front end and checked and rechecked all the bolts during the install. I removed all the slop with the new bushings. I jacked the cart up again just to make sure nothing changed. Everything still tight. I think the spindle lift and maybe worn springs account for some of the shifting and changing measurements. I'm pretty happy with what i've got, just looking to see if I can improve the handling a bit with a tweak.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:35 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

When adjusting toe angle you should always have the tires on the ground and be sure to roll the cart forward at least one revolution of the tires before making any measurements.
Measure, make an adjustment, then roll the cart back at least one revolution of the wheel, then forward again. This removes any stress in the suspension due to the tire position change from the geometry change of the spindle while making the adjustments.
Remeasure toe angle and make slight corrections if necessary. Roll the cart back and forward again and as long as you still have between 1/8” to 1/4” of toe-in then leave it.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:07 PM   #7
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Yep, sounds like you are getting it as good as you are going to..... And if those are turf tires, they will drag the steering a lot more than an All-Terrain will....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:00 PM   #8
noserider
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
When adjusting toe angle you should always have the tires on the ground and be sure to roll the cart forward at least one revolution of the tires before making any measurements.
Measure, make an adjustment, then roll the cart back at least one revolution of the wheel, then forward again. This removes any stress in the suspension due to the tire position change from the geometry change of the spindle while making the adjustments.
Remeasure toe angle and make slight corrections if necessary. Roll the cart back and forward again and as long as you still have between 1/8” to 1/4” of toe-in then leave it.
Thanks. That's how I have done it. But I must say after setting it that way is was really squirrely with just a slight movement of the wheel. Why I have no clue. I'm now making slight corrections and doing a test drive after each.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:01 PM   #9
noserider
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Yep, sounds like you are getting it as good as you are going to..... And if those are turf tires, they will drag the steering a lot more than an All-Terrain will....
They are AT. Thanks
Old 06-09-2019, 09:55 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Try setting the toe to 3/8" toe-in. With a spindle lift, you're never going to have a perfectly tight front end. Stuff is naturally going to move around. When you're driving forward, the natural motion of the car is going to try and pull the front of the tires outward and toe them out. I think it's worth a try considering it's a spindle lift and it moves so much.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car