lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2019, 07:33 PM   #1
Clarkwho
Not Yet Wild

Default A different 48-12v reduction issue

So, currently I have my pos/neg leads going directly to the battery posts. I will fix this after I get my new obc or smart charger..whichever comes first. In the meantime, I am trying to get this wiring sorted out.

I have 50v coming to the front of the cart from my leads, I put 50 into the reducer, and zero on the output side? This is a brand new reducer.. Will it only show the 12v when it is actually being drawn by something? Or is this a bad reducer from the get go? I have lights and a stereo that I would like to hook up.
Clarkwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2019, 07:42 PM   #2
CoiloverCarts
Getting Wild

Default Re: A different 48-12v reduction issue

Picture of the reducer? I'm guessing you have 6 wires coming from it? One must be ran to the key switch to power it when the key is on.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
CoiloverCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:52 PM   #3
Clarkwho
Not Yet Wild

Just a basic 4 wire that I will put a switch to. Not sure how to attach a picture here with my phone.

this is the one I bought

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

50.2 v going in tested by voltmeter, and zero coming out.. I am inclined to say just a bad voltage reducer...but...??

Last edited by Clarkwho; 06-13-2019 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: added link
Old 06-13-2019, 09:49 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkwho View Post
So, currently I have my pos/neg leads going directly to the battery posts. I will fix this after I get my new obc or smart charger..whichever comes first. In the meantime, I am trying to get this wiring sorted out.

I have 50v coming to the front of the cart from my leads, I put 50 into the reducer, and zero on the output side? This is a brand new reducer.. Will it only show the 12v when it is actually being drawn by something? Or is this a bad reducer from the get go? I have lights and a stereo that I would like to hook up.
As long as you have the Red wire connected to the 48v Pos and the Black wire to the 48v Neg connections at your pack, then you should use the Red probe from your meter to the Yellow wire and the Black probe to the other Black wire and get a reading of 12-13vdc. If not, your reducer is bad....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:58 PM   #5
Clarkwho
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
As long as you have the Red wire connected to the 48v Pos and the Black wire to the 48v Neg connections at your pack, then you should use the Red probe from your meter to the Yellow wire and the Black probe to the other Black wire and get a reading of 12-13vdc. If not, your reducer is bad....
Ok, that is what I thought, but somehow was second guessing myself. "new stuff from amazon can't be bad can it??" is what I kept asking myself..lol.. of course it can, it's from Amazon..sadly, not many options way out in the sticks.

Thanks for confirming I am not going crazy.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:01 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkwho View Post
Ok, that is what I thought, but somehow was second guessing myself. "new stuff from amazon can't be bad can it??" is what I kept asking myself..lol.. of course it can, it's from Amazon..sadly, not many options way out in the sticks.

Thanks for confirming I am not going crazy.
Those 10a's are a dime a dozen out of China. I would get at least a 20a for my replacement. And the "switched" versions are a lot better for your cart....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:30 PM   #7
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Those 10a's are a dime a dozen out of China. I would get at least a 20a for my replacement. And the "switched" versions are a lot better for your cart....
I concur.

It saves having to wire in a relay or separate switch if you get the 5 wire reducer in the first place. Also, as Nole said, I would advise getting a 20 or 30 Amp reducer from the get go. Often you think you'll only have a particular accessory but then over time you decide to add more. With the bigger reducer (for not much more money) you can add just about anything.

This is a good one https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...-amp-universal
or this https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...v-to-12v-30amp

I know they are more expensive than the little Amazon ones but IMHO, it's worth it.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:53 AM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The way those inexpensive low power converters output regulation work, they require more load than your meter can provide in order to output anything.

Plug a 12v accessory to the output wires and it should work.

They are very inefficient compared to the other models suggested, but will do good for lights.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:52 AM   #9
Clarkwho
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The way those inexpensive low power converters output regulation work, they require more load than your meter can provide in order to output anything.

They are very inefficient compared to the other models suggested, but will do good for lights.
I actually wondered about that, and I did try to plug in an led light set to it directly, which didn't light up? Maybe I will try something with a heavier load...
Old 06-14-2019, 01:38 PM   #10
Clarkwho
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post

Darn it, that didn't work either..getting zero out of it. Going to try to find another one in the city today...would like this up and running for the weekend..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car