lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-20-2019, 12:03 PM   #1
jbsmith05
Gone Wild

Default 2006 Club Car DS quit 'going' while driving

Earlier today driving my cart, it just quit going, no throttle response. One time it just slowed to a stop, another time it did this after stoping at a red light and then wouldn't go again. I pull (push) over and sit for a few min and then try again and it seems to be working fine.

Any ideas - first time it's done this.

Here's the details:

2006 48v (4x12v) DS
500amp Alltrax, HD solenoid, upgraded cables, Plum Quick motor

Only thing I wonder is, that it sits outside, under a cover in my driveway - been this way for 2 years now. The cover tore on the roof yesterday and last night we had a huge thunderstorm and about 2in of rain. It didn't look overly wet inside as the hole in the cover was on the roof corner so I suspect the water just ran down the inside of the cover to the ground.
jbsmith05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2019, 08:49 AM   #2
jbsmith05
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2006 Club Car DS quit 'going' while driving

Battery Load test - are they any good??

I fully charged the pack overnight, this morning it was complete.

Battery Number, Date Code, Resting Volt, Load Volt:

Full Pack, n/a, 51.38, 43.9
1, C4, 12.83, 11.06
2, A6, 12.79, 10.91
3, C4, 12.89, 11.11
4, C4, 12.81, 11.06

Note the resting voltages were all taken before driving at all, the load voltages were taken under subsequent individual runs up a paved hill roughly 15deg grade.

Just me in the cart 220lbs, cart has the 500amp Alltrax, 23" allterrain tires, 6in lift.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:50 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

43.9 seems a bit low given your upgrades if that's coming off a full charge. How long did you let the batteries rest off the charger before you took the resting voltage?

My last DS had a similar setup except an admiral motor instead of a PQ. Up a Hill, with a fresh charge voltage would be around 46-47V on 2 year old batteries.

However, that's not going to cause what you described. Unfortunately intermittent failures can be hard to diagnose. I would loosen the rear cover so you can access the controller easily. Next time it dies it, look at the LED and see if it is behaving normally, or if it is even registering at all. You may have a throttle sensor issue and it's not picking it up, or may be a failing solenoid. When you press the gas, the greed led should flash (I believe 7 times) and then hold steady green as long as your foot is on the pedal. This tells you it's getting the correct input signals and doing what it is supposed to do on the logic side of the controller.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:38 PM   #4
jbsmith05
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
43.9 seems a bit low given your upgrades if that's coming off a full charge. How long did you let the batteries rest off the charger before you took the resting voltage?

My last DS had a similar setup except an admiral motor instead of a PQ. Up a Hill, with a fresh charge voltage would be around 46-47V on 2 year old batteries.

However, that's not going to cause what you described. Unfortunately intermittent failures can be hard to diagnose. I would loosen the rear cover so you can access the controller easily. Next time it dies it, look at the LED and see if it is behaving normally, or if it is even registering at all. You may have a throttle sensor issue and it's not picking it up, or may be a failing solenoid. When you press the gas, the greed led should flash (I believe 7 times) and then hold steady green as long as your foot is on the pedal. This tells you it's getting the correct input signals and doing what it is supposed to do on the logic side of the controller.

It probably sat 8 hours or so after it quit charging.

I drove it around for about 30 min trying to get it to do it again. I couldn’t.

But when my wife and kids took it out it did it at a stoplight...I show up and drive it home no problems.

I was wondering if it’s a mcor issue (I’ve never replaced it, not sure if this would be a symptom of that dying)

Batteries are old and need replacing but I was hoping to get to the fall and switch to 8v batts.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car