lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Controller help needed!!!

It is normal for the resistor to be warm. Especially considering you are using a 470 OHM resistor while waiting for the 250 resistor to show up. Disconnect the resistor and complete the install without it.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-16-2014, 08:17 AM   #12
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

The solenoid resistor stays warm all the time whether the cart is on or off? Doesn't seem right, wouldn't that drain the batteries? Even with a different resistor it's getting a negative current from the controller-side and a positive current from the battery-side. I'm worried what might happen to the solenoid when those two currents meet the first time I turn it on!
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:32 AM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The voltage you are reading in the (-) is in the mila-amp range. The meter doesn't tell you how strong the source is only that it exists. This reading will disappear when the system is operating.
The controller capacitors shouldn't be drawing any power until it is turned on , power at pin #1.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:52 AM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

There are a dozen or two capacitors in the controller that are connected directly between the B+ and B- terminals on the controller that are charged whenever the battery pack is connected to the controller's B+ and B- terminals. When the solenoid contacts are open (battery disconnected from controller), the capacitors are charged via the pre-charge resistor that is connected between the large terminals (contact terminals) on the solenoid.

The capacitors have draining resistors across them inside the controller, so they do not stay charged for an extended period of time, once the battery has been disconnected (safety issue), so there will be some current flow though the pre-charge resistor bridging the solenoid contacts all the time and the pre-charge resistor may get warm.

Since the pre-charge resistor is in series with Cables #1 & #2 (Battery B+ to solenoid and Solenoid to controller B+), the voltage being read is the voltage drop across that resistor. Whether the DVM displays it as a positive or a negative voltage depends on where the positive and negative test leads are attached.

Without the B+ cable attached to the B+ terminal to on the controller, the capacitors are being charged through the high impedance of the DVM, so you will measure something very close to pack voltage if you measure between B+ terminal on controller and Main B+ terminal on the battery pack. (Other side of capacitors are connected to B- and B- cable is connected, so there is a complete circuit via the DVM.

Connect the cables and measure the B+ terminal on the battery pack, then measure the B+ terminal on the controller. B+ on the controller ought to be a few volts lower than B+ at the battery pack. (Might be in the neighborhood of 10V instead of the typical 5V due to a 470Ω resistor being used rather than a 250Ω one.)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:03 PM   #15
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Controller help needed!!!

Ok JonnieB thanks for explanation - that makes total sense now and made it easier for me to turn the key on and press the petal without worrying to much.

ScottyB you were right, I hooked it all back up, lifted the rear on jack stands for safety and got her running!

Thanks for all the help, both of you.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:32 PM   #16
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Oh ScottyB, I forgot to mention, when I gave it some petal the B+ on the controller no longer reads negative current, just like you said. I guess I was being too careful. I've waited a long time for this upgrade and didn't want to fry it. 😉

Went for a quick ride tonight down to the canal with the MISS, and man this thing has so much torque down low now. I used to have to juice it to get it over obstacles, now it just crawls over them, don't know how to explain it but I love it!!! Can't wait to get some kind of motor upgrade in the future - that is now the weakest link.

Still going to do an overnight test to see how much measurable juice I'm loosing through the solenoid pre-charge resistor (if any) and to make sure those draining resistors in the controller are working ...yes that still bothers me JohnnyB 😜 Hey you were spot on with your voltage difference too, mine was about 9v lower.

New Question; I hear a really high pitched whine from (I think) the controller when going real slow, in the 1%—40% throttle range. It's not loud, but I can hear it - is that normal for SS carts?
Old 11-16-2014, 10:14 PM   #17
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJerm76 View Post
Oh ScottyB, I forgot to mention, when I gave it some petal the B+ on the controller no longer reads negative current, just like you said. I guess I was being too careful. I've waited a long time for this upgrade and didn't want to fry it. ��

Went for a quick ride tonight down to the canal with the MISS, and man this thing has so much torque down low now. I used to have to juice it to get it over obstacles, now it just crawls over them, don't know how to explain it but I love it!!! Can't wait to get some kind of motor upgrade in the future - that is now the weakest link.

Still going to do an overnight test to see how much measurable juice I'm loosing through the solenoid pre-charge resistor (if any) and to make sure those draining resistors in the controller are working ...yes that still bothers me JohnnyB �� Hey you were spot on with your voltage difference too, mine was about 9v lower.

New Question; I hear a really high pitched whine from (I think) the controller when going real slow, in the 1%—40% throttle range. It's not loud, but I can hear it - is that normal for SS carts?
Yep, controllers whine a little. Glad you've finally made the switch to solid state!!! That thing is gonna be an absolute BEAST once you upgrade the motor.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:57 AM   #18
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93yellowclubcar View Post
Glad you've finally made the switch to solid state!!! That thing is gonna be an absolute BEAST once you upgrade the motor.

Me too, and thanks for the help 93, it feels like a beast now compared to what it was before. I can't imagine what your cart is like with that rattlesnake!
Old 11-17-2014, 07:11 AM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJerm76 View Post

1. Still going to do an overnight test to see how much measurable juice I'm loosing through the solenoid pre-charge resistor (if any) and to make sure those draining resistors in the controller are working ...yes that still bothers me JohnnyB 😜 Hey you were spot on with your voltage difference too, mine was about 9v lower.

2. New Question; I hear a really high pitched whine from (I think) the controller when going real slow, in the 1%—40% throttle range. It's not loud, but I can hear it - is that normal for SS carts?
1. According to Ohm's Law, if the voltage drop across a 470Ω resistor is 9V, there are 19 Milli-amps of current flowing through it.

2. I don't know what a SS cart is but brush type electric motors power by PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) DC, whine.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:56 AM   #20
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
1. According to Ohm's Law, if the voltage drop across a 470Ω resistor is 9V, there are 19 Milli-amps of current flowing through it.
2. I don't know what a SS cart is but brush type electric motors power by PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) DC, whine.
1) My voltage test is tonight. Finished charging the pack last night and I'm letting it rest today. I'll take readings tonight and again in the morning.

2) SS=Solid State
Although I do know of the motor whine you are referring to ...this is nothing like that - as 93 mentioned it seems to be coming from the controller not the motor, and the pitch of the noise varies by throttle position. It's really high pitched but I can live with it if it's normal, it's not very loud.

Ive just never owned or even driven a SS controller cart before. All my experience has been with my resistor (toaster) cart, I have a lot to re-learn.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts