lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-27-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
florida native
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default florida natives' workhorse build

Hello everyoneand Happy Thanksgiving. I'm reworking a 98' worhorse that was purchased about 2 years ago. It was sitting on the parents property where I purchased it from one of their neighbors for $400.00 which was a great deal as far as I could tell. The cart was in pretty good condition (compared to the projects I have seen others attempt to build out) with minor rust on the frame under the rocker panels and the oil leak being the only problems with the cart at the time of purchase. I had sold it about two months ago to purchase a new RXV but figured with alot of time, heart and less money than the RXV, I had to back out of the sale ( the buyer completly understood).
I started working on it about a month ago and I anticipate completion by the end of the year if everything goes as planned. last month I removed the stock 350 and had long time friend and well respected, machinist extrodinare, rebuild it for me boring it .25 over. While he was working on it I did what I could to complete as much of the cart as possible. I got the engine back from him Monday and I broke it in over the next two days per his instructions...run 10 minutes under 1500 rmp, let the engine cool for an hour or more, run the engine for 10 minutes under 2500 rmp, let the engine cool for an hour or more, run the engine at variable rpms at top speed. I completed the break in and went for a ride this morning. Now the motor back fires a few seconds after the enigine stops. The engine never backfired before. Unfortunately I only took the engine to him not the whole cart. I plan on taking the whole cart to him on Monday to have him fine tune it seems how he has not had the opportunity to see it run. I am certain he can rectify the back firing issue relatively easily.
My question is, what is causing the back firing? I'm sure that it is simple adjustments with the valves from the threads I have read but are there other factors which may be causing it to happen?
Alll input will be greatly appreciated and when I get home from the Thanksgiving get together I'll start to post the pictures of the build out so far. (I know how important pictures for a good thread)

Thanks
Todd
florida native is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-28-2008, 12:12 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: florida natives' workhorse build

YEP !!!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:51 AM   #3
florida native
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the input scottyb. I'll post them when I get home form the holiday.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:43 AM   #4
florida native
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Rectified the crack in the gas tank by filling the crack with 5 minute plastic weld. I then laminated sheet aluminum to the tank with the plastic weld to prevent further cracking and to add some additional strength to the problem spot. The crack was at the base of the mounting bracket where alot of stress occurs on the tank.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:53 AM   #5
florida native
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Bed removed, Diamond plate installed and painted. Front seat installed with plastic protection until rebuild is complete. Rear seat forward facing. Cowl and body panels off for painting and graphics.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
florida native
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I broke and bent the diamond plate to supplement the void from dumpbed removal, painted the diamond plate then removed the paint manually from the diamonds themselves to add a different look. Very time consuming though. I must have 4-5 hrs in scraping the paint off the diamonds. (about an hour more and it should be complete)

I installed a removable panel to access engine compartment. I used some tamper proof allen screws on the diamond plate install. I found in the past that over time the rivots would gap alittle thus causing vibration noise. The screws along with the iso pads should rectify this. In the location where the dump bed origionally locked in, I fabricated a couple of hinged panels and out of some sheet aluminum a compartment to the front of the rear wheel wells, lockable for storage.

I utilized the dump bed pivot points to mount the rear seat, Fabricated some SS stantions for the seat to rest on ( which will eventually be mounted to the underside of the seat to free up bed space) and a SS receiver for the locking mechanism to seat into. I utilized the locking mechanism from the old dump bed. The holes in the front of the bracket will eventually receive the gas shocks and allow the seat to fold back 90 deg. and allow me to utilize the deck over the engine compartment to haul whatever needs hauling.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:19 PM   #7
florida native
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I finally have somewhat of a cart. Still need some misc components though. I will eventually install a roof (custom of course), A jakes lift with some tires, and alot more shinny stuff. Here are some updated photos, let me know what you think. The eagle is what I supplemented for the ezgo emblem on the steering wheel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dec11_0003.jpg (3.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Dec11_0002.jpg (4.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Dec11_0001.jpg (4.7 KB, 59 views)
Old 12-17-2008, 08:22 PM   #8
EZ-GOnewild
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Looks great. You have done a nice job at bringing her back to glory. Thanks for sharing.
EZ-GOnewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO