lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2015, 05:58 PM   #1
jackpinesavage
Not Yet Wild

Default my first mod....front shock spring boost

My G16 had way too much body roll so I made some 3/4 inch spring shims ....they made a world of difference.. no more body roll.. feels so much safer when I sidehill...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150522_100951.jpg (201.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-05-22 18.56.39.jpg (66.2 KB, 0 views)
jackpinesavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2015, 11:14 PM   #2
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: my first mod....front shock spring boost

Looks good.

I have 400EX shocks on the front of my G1 and they are too soft allowing a lot of unwanted things. I've actually thought about adding more spring to see if that helped.

I've thought about this mainly because I'm cheap.

What did you use to make the shims?
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:56 AM   #3
jackpinesavage
Not Yet Wild

1.5 inch I.D. thick wall tubing slipped right over the shock and lines up perfect with the spring rest...I cut the pieces 3/4 inch thick ....also I used a 16mm chrome craftsman deepwell socket to push out the upper shock mount tube so the spring would slide right over..... the cart has virtually no body roll now..feels so much safer to drive in my yard full of hills...
jackpinesavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:24 AM   #4
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Wonder if the same spacers would fit on the rear of the cart?
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:04 PM   #5
Mr. Mike
It's Beer Time!

Yamaha

I actually just went to the local home depot and bought some pipe hanger clamps. I compressed the spring with a couple ratchet straps and put these one. They work great. This pictures is the rear HD springs that I bought off of a BGW member but they didn't have spacers so I had to make something. I use these clamps on the front of mine with Harley Sporster shocks. The shocks were a little soft but once I compressed the spring with these clamps it stiffened them up good.

Mr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:27 PM   #6
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

In April of last year a buddy and I each bought a 2011 YDRA refurbished cart on the same day from the same dealer. They were fleet carts that they repainted the bodies, installed Jake’s 6” lift kits, 23” tires and rear facing seat kits. The problems we figured out were these were two person carts and all they did was install the rear seat kits without upgrading the rear springs (500 lbs) to safely accommodate four adults. Next we learned that the front springs were fatigued and the shocks were shot. This made for a really squirrely and dangerous ride, and the front camber leaned in toward the center. We decided to upgrade the rear springs with the Heavy Duty Rear Springs and this helped a lot. My buddy decided to not change the front Shock Absorber Assemblies and just toe out the front end to stabilize his ride. I didn’t like the look of the camber leaning in and having the front end toed out. By making and installing three 3/16” spacers to go on each front shock the camber returned to zero and the proper toe adjustment could be set. This made the ride much safer and the cart would handle four adults. Not wanting to have worn out parts on the cart I have the two front shock absorber assemblies on order for now and will replace the two rears when funds become available. Another thing I realized is the MadJax wheels and tires were only rated for 12 psi which also added to the soft and unstable feeling while driving with four adults aboard. I upgraded my tires to Duro Desert X-Country tires which are rated for 20 psi, and this made for a more stable ride. Because with a Jake’s Spindale Lift it not only raises the cart 6” it also moves the front wheels forward and out, in my opinion it changes the caster which is less stable than stock. To help with this I installed a steering dampener and the ride has gotten even better, now I feel more comfortable letting my wife and family use the cart. I know this is a lot to think about, but all these things can and will affect the safe handling of the cart. Here are some pics of what I have done Good Luck.
Robert.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spacers.JPG (32.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg spacer cutout.JPG (42.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 0 camber.JPG (26.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg STR 04.JPG (35.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg STR 02.JPG (37.0 KB, 0 views)
LimitedEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:26 PM   #7
dbmachine
Gone Wild

I've been doing this mod for years on atvs to give them more lift . Used abs black pipe or either schedule 80 PVC pipe painted black and have never ever had any issues with the plastic pipe failng with the severe torture that atvs go through with aggressive tires, lifted , and abuse in the trails in the deep mud. I need to add these to my cart as well to eliminate some sag and the squirrly feeling at high speed.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha