lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2015, 07:29 PM   #1
jimmol
Not Yet Wild

Default G14 timing

Hi, all. I have a G14 kids were riding it and quit running. after pushing it back to the garage, noticed has very little oil. Now it sound like timing is off. Has good compression. Is there a way to check the timing without removing engine from cart.
jimmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2015, 10:49 AM   #2
Mr. Mike
It's Beer Time!

Yamaha

Default Re: G14 timing

No there is not. I seriously doubt the timing is off. The engine uses lifters and pushrods so the timing is basically set by lining the dots up on the camshaft gear and the crankshaft gear. Same goes for the balancer shaft. I really don't see how it could ever jump time unless it strips teeth off of one of the gears. This is a G16 motor but timing is the same process. This motor was ran without oil and the connecting rod exploded and snapped the camshaft. I rebuilt it...runs great now. You should check compression because these motors have to have a lot of compression. IIRC like around 150-160psi with around 145 psi being the minimum.

Mr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:42 PM   #3
jimmol
Not Yet Wild

The timing is is about 130. I pulled motor and opened case, the timing is good on cam and crank. How is the timing on the bal. set?
jimmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:58 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

On G2/8/9's and G14's, to get the balancer marks to alighn, you must "back off" the crank or the balancer will hit. Might want to check the flywheel woodruff key also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9290298.jpg (129.5 KB, 0 views)
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:04 PM   #5
Mr. Mike
It's Beer Time!

Yamaha

That's right Block. Good call...didn't even think about the woodruff key.
Mr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha