lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2015, 07:34 AM   #1
hvacmatt
Not Yet Wild

Default 1981 j10 g1 yamaha carb?

Hey guys was wondering if anyone is running a ebay knock of carb on the 1981 j10 g1 cart all of the carbs look a little bit different from my carb. It says that they will work for a j10 but on it say years 83 and up. Not to sure what the difference in years is Thanks again
hvacmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2015, 02:20 PM   #2
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 1981 j10 g1 yamaha carb?

I've had one on my '81 G-1 cart for about a month. I bought an el cheapo, just to test it out. Other than the oil and fuel input barbs being on the opposite side there is one major difference.
Added: I should have said the oil input barb is on the opposite side, but the fuel inlet is on the same side. my bad ... See the last pic below.
The first one I received leaked fuel out of the bowl, so I was sent another one. It was a little better, so I took the bowl off, and adjusted the float so it would shutoff the fuel sooner. It worked.

The major difference is in the pics below. The fuel pickup is longer, and has more holes, so that the venture effect appears to be able to get more fuel than the one in my carb now. I can't vouch for the fact that my carb/main nozzle is stock. Who knows what many POs may have done. The last pic is a comparison with the carb which was on my cart.

it seems to do an ok job, but I would say I am running richer than need be. I screwed in the pilot adjusting screw to lean it out a little, but haven't noticed too much performance difference.

As many have said (will say) here it's really hit or miss. Sometimes it works/sometimes it doesn't. I figured for 30 bucks I'd try it, and I'm fairly happy.

Ogre
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0985.jpg (66.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0986.jpg (49.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0987.jpg (56.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0999.jpg (195.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by OgreTX; 10-05-2015 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: Added correction
OgreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:09 AM   #3
hvacmatt
Not Yet Wild

Thanks so much for answering my question also what is the black hose for on the new carb is it the fuel inlet or back use I see a 90 degree fitting looks to be fuel inlet aswell.
hvacmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:12 PM   #4
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The black hose on the new carb is connected to the barb between my thumb and knuckle (last pic above). It is for overflow purposes. The fuel inlet is below the brass oil barb on the new carb.

The black tube is on the fuel inlet, just to get it out of the way so I could compare the choke setup, and carb arm to see if there were any major differences.

Ogre
OgreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:19 PM   #5
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Have one on my 85 g1 (essentially same thing as yours) happy with mine been running it all summer multiple tanks of premixed fuel still running great
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:03 PM   #6
ssanoobab
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

i just bought a rebuild kit for my 81 j10 carb a couple weeks ago. It worked out great. just another option.

http://www.golfcarcatalog.com/produc...uild-Kit-.html
ssanoobab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:08 PM   #7
jhedger
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanoobab View Post
i just bought a rebuild kit for my 81 j10 carb a couple weeks ago. It worked out great. just another option.

http://www.golfcarcatalog.com/produc...uild-Kit-.html
I know this is an old thread, but hoping you will respond.

Was is difficult to rebuild/adjust? Leaning this vs. a new POS.

Thanks!
jhedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:23 PM   #8
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

No rebuild is unscrew old jets and screw in knew ones and remove old float and needle and install new one it's simple
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:04 PM   #9
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I have those cheapo China carbs on 3 of my vintage carts. With the older Harleys and Columbias there is no choice as homegrown carbs don't exist and rebuild kits are all China made as well.

My G1's first cheapo carb (installed by the previous owner) didn't work right but the 2nd one did. That cart took two attempts. Been fine since.

I don't think anyone will ever say that the cheapos are anywhere as good as the originals but $20 is $20. It's a cost / benefit thing.
Lochlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha