lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2015, 10:01 PM   #1
Patmcc
Not Yet Wild

Default 95 Club Car slow to start

Thanks in advance to anyone that reads or takes the time to respond. Yes I'm new to the forum and golf cart ownership. I purchased a 95 Club Car for the lake and some golf course use. The cart was in good visual shape but ran very poorly and has always been very slow to start with some backfiring and lots of coughing through the breather box. Initially the cart would barely start and run. After purchase I have made the following repairs:

-replaced fuel lines, cap, pump, filters, and carburetor (carb and pump chinese
knock off from Amazon)
-replaced all four micro switches
-replaced throttle and governor cables.(These as well as a missing return spring increased drivability greatly.)
-new battery
-new drive belt(old one dry rotted)

After these repairs, there was a night and day difference in the way the cart ran once started, but still slow to start. Also most times, like I've read in other forums about people having the same issue, when I press the acc. pedal, the will be a 2-3 second delay before the starter will turn over. Like the engine stopped on the compression stroke and is having trouble getting over the hump. After the starter gets over that hump, it turns fine.

It gets good spark and runs great once it starts. Idles well, good speed, and is smooth. If I get in and stomp the pedal down to take off, it will cough and spit the burp through the breather box. When hot it will usually eventually start. When cold it seldomly does.
The best way I can get it to start is to just barely press the pedal to engage the starter and hold that position until it starts at an idle and then it takes off fine. The choke doesn't seem to help but at an idle the butterfly is almost closed and is mostly choked anyway I think. When I hold the governor lever to keep it from moving and stomp the pedal it starts right up as soon as I hit the pedal and stays at an idle until I release the lever. I put a compression gauge on it but I'm a plumber and not a mechanic. Turning the engine over with the tester hooked up, I got different readings each time. First time it stopped at 120psi, then 150psi, then back to 120 and 150 again. I can replace parts if i knew what to replace. At the lake and at home, taking the time to get it started isn't a big deal. When on the golf course, its bothersome. I would love to be able to get in and just step on the pedal and go like the carts on the course. Again, thanks in advance!
Patmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2015, 07:24 AM   #2
Patmcc
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 95 Club Car slow to start

What I was trying to explain with the governor, if I hold the throttle closed at an idle, it will start right up as soon as you hit the pedal and idle against the idle screw. If you press the pedal lets say half way, it will cough and choke and try to start. I don know if that means it's not getting enough fuel or air or getting too much of one. I replaced all carb gaskets when new carb went on.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:44 AM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Welcome to BGW Pat!

It sounds like your getting too much air!
Kawi FE engines are incredibly finicky when it come to fuel/air mixture ratio's,
so it's crucial that all of the intake components are connected and sealed tightly!

The most common things to look at are making sure that the lid on the air box (with air filter) is properly secured,
and check the intake tube for cracks. (Hard to see unless you take it off, and bend it around while visually inspecting it)

The easiest way to check it is to make sure everything is hooked up, start and run the engine,
and spray carb cleaner all over the intake components... if the RPM's change, you've found your air leak!

Hope this helps!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:27 AM   #4
Patmcc
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the advice. I have searched many forums and threads looking for someone with similar issues. Air leaks are one of the things I have checked for. Air box and breather hose are all in good shape and the lid is tightly closed. I took it out again last night to check, held my hand over one end and blew in the other and couldn't blow through is so it is tight. I also tried to make the connection between the air box and choke assembly tighter with no improvements. Maybe it could be sucking air through on of the carb or intake gaskets???
Any advice on the starting situation. It has a new battery and there is plenty of material left of the brushes in S/G. I hit the pedal, starter engages, and it takes 1-3 seconds for it to get turned past the compression stroke. ( this it what seems to happen). Once it starts to turn, it turns freely and will start the cart.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:39 PM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Again... Spray carb cleaner on the carb and all of the intake parts while the engine is running,
If you don't have an air leak, the RPM's won't change!

As for the starter/generator stopping on the compression stroke... it's pretty common!
Most say to tighten the S/G belt as tight as you can get it! still to this day... I disagree!
I tightened my S/G belt SO tight, it stopped at the compression stroke and blew my 10 amp fuse... twice!
There IS a "sweet spot" for the S/G belt tension... not too loose for the belt to slip, and not too tight, so it turns over hard.

It takes adjusting, and readjusting a few times to get it just right!

Old 06-03-2017, 06:46 AM   #6
Patmcc
Not Yet Wild

-update-
Yes after more than a year of dealing with starter hanging up on initial start and $250 at the golf cart store telling me it was the solenoid and spark plug boot, which made no difference, the starter ground wire connector finally broke off. Even though the insulation on the wire looked fine, the wire was toast. New wire and two connectors and the starter now spins as soon as the micro switch engages it and she fires right up!! What a difference. Note to self, always check your grounds when electric is involved. Thanks to everyone that responded.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:54 AM   #7
Patmcc
Not Yet Wild

So the new ground wire worked for a while but slowly got back to its old ways. It must have been something in the starter generator because a replacement cured all the starting problems.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:10 PM   #8
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Well, Hey Pat!

Ummm... for starters, (no pun intended) your battery is now 4 years old, and because it's a car battery, they may only last 5 years,
You might want to consider taking it to an auto parts store and have it "load tested", and at most places, it's free of charge!

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car