lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2017, 09:45 PM   #11
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Anyone know the stock secondary springs?

If you have the new team clutches I don't know what you get, they are different. But for the older yamaha (except the G1) it works well to toss a umax spring in the secondary. I would recommend it to any lifted cart or towing with a stock cart. They are a little bit of a pain to get apart and back together but not terrible, its posted on here how to. The spring really helps lifted carts a lot and should not affect top speed. At lower speeds it revs more and has more zip. It would still hit 31 on the pavement. And they don't cost much either. With a BB you don't really need it, but it can make it more fun. With a clone maybe its nicer because they like to rev more than a twin, I put a clone in and it worked great with it too. But with a different primary clutch now the setup is much different. Some people with twin BB engines take them back out, they have so much torque they don't need any help.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2017, 10:33 PM   #12
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

I see plowmans sells a spring for the g29 so maybe it'll make a little difference
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:52 PM   #13
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The plowmans stuff is good stuff no doubt about that, guy really researches or creates everything he does. Just saying for many yamaha if you don't have a big budget the umax is the ticket for some improvement and its a quality stock yami part.

The team clutches had some issues, if you have them you should read up on them.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:25 PM   #14
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yeah the stock clutch is stikn shut already, it usually won't restart the engine after the cart has completely stopped as it's trying to move the cart while it's trying to restart it. I have to tap it back open to restart the engine. I need to remove it and then try to get it to move freely again. Hopefully it'll last long enough after I try to fix it so I can think on what to do next drivetrain wise as I have a list of other things to do first like lights, paint etc before I decide BB or plowmans stuff
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:40 PM   #15
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Some of them had recalls or updates but I don't know much about them, other than they had problems. Not sure why yamaha did that I know people with yami sleds from the 70s that still run and drive with stock clutches on them, yami knows all about clutches.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:13 PM   #16
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Not sure if this is 100% conclusive but today I had the umax spring I ran for about 2yr, the G9 (G2-G9) spring I ran for less than a summer and the tang broke off it, and the new G22 (G11-G22) spring I just bought. The G22 spring is about 1/4" longer than the G9 spring, of course the umax is significantly longer. But I was trying to see and difference from the G9 to G22 and sure looks like a minor difference, it would rev a little more a low speeds but not much. Will try to post a pic later. I don't think the springs would weaken in a couple years use but I know the old original '92 G9 spring in my cart now is a little shorter than the new one that broke.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:08 PM   #17
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Maybe the difference in the G9 and G22 springs has something to do with the old style and the upgraded spring seat??
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:16 PM   #18
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Possible, I have the upgraded one but it looked the same size to me....didn't measure it. I put new cut sheave, spring, spring seat, and spacer on mine. But the umax is like over an inch longer so I am thinking 1/4" is barely going to be noticeable. Umax is thicker wire while the other two appear to be the same, I didn't have anything to measure the wire. That was about time the newer motor came out too.

I actually rather have the shorter one because my 94c revs enough on its own, but I don't think this will change it much. You also have like 10% variance in springs allowed (in the manufacturing specs).
Old 05-20-2017, 03:59 PM   #19
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Have a photo of the umax, the G22, and the broken tang G9 spring. All been used less than 3yr or something the G22 is brand new. You can see the G22 spring is slightly longer but same revolutions of wire. I was thinking the umax was little larger wire too but I didn't measure here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170506_190112.jpg (114.9 KB, 0 views)

Tags
secondary, spring
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha