lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-16-2017, 05:26 PM   #1
harveje
Not Yet Wild

Default new to me 01-G16 need help plz

Picked up a G16 gaser and after about 5 hrs of the kids driving it the rear end bearings gave out. After looking it had no grease just sludge. So I took the rear end out and now trying to find bearings and seals, Does any one have a list of bearings and seals that fit? Or a full rear end for sale close to North MS? And any tricks or lessons learned on putting all the guts back in the transaxle?
And of course the wife and kids are giving me crap about buying a broke cart.

thanks and Happy Easter to all
harveje is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2017, 05:35 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: new to me 01-G16 need help plz

If the gears are ok you can put bearings in it, if the gears get worn funny it will make noise forever. I did a CC trans and the bearings were standard bearings, we got them from a local bearing supplier through someone's work that had an account and got a reasonable price. Some you can find on ebay or at a tractor supply place cheaper. You have to remove the bearings and find the number on them. If you had a service manual it might tell you but they might have yamaha numbers that are no use to you. Put the parts back in the way they came out, including any shims or spacers lol, don't mess it up. That said the CC trans was pretty simple. Use something good to seal it you don't want leaks. Check for damage that caused it to leak. This CC I did hit something and cracked at a bolt and leaked out bottom. That one killed the top gears, I got lucky they were the HS gears so spent another $300 to get HS gears and the top bearings and it was OK. It was whining like crazy with the old gears that were worn funny. But it was buy new or HS gears, price was not much different.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:49 PM   #3
harveje
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, gears have some wear on them but this is going to be a yard cart so I'll re use them unless I see something else wrong. Is there a trick on getting the spider cluster back together? The bearings I crossed so far are 6204, 6303, 6007, and 6005 I don't know if that's all or not and I guess I'll just order the seals by the yamaha number. I wanted to but a bigger motor then this happened. And my dumba?? broke the secondary sheave by not paying attention or reading so I'll probably just opt for a new one the ramps have allot of wear on them anyway.

Thanks
Old 04-16-2017, 06:06 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

6204 is pretty common, they are $10 on ebay might find them at farm places too. You don't care about what seal is on the bearings, usually pull them out inside a gear case as its in oil.

You can get a cut secondary sheave from CPP its a nice heavy one, I have one. It gives a lower gearing its nice for towing or holeshots or steep hills, at least with a lifted cart and big tires it is. They are a little more than normal ones but if you see that need now is the time. They work normally at mid and high speeds. Its also a good heavy one some aftermarket ones are thin be careful of that if you don't get a yamaha part.

You can also get a umax spring pretty cheap that will raise rpm at lower speeds, but you may not need it later if you put a larger engine in. Think they are $15 or something. They are great on stock engine lifted carts, get some torque back from the big tires. I ran mine on my clone too they like to rev, but when I got a different primary clutch it didn't like it.

Get new pads for the ramps too they are cheap iirc, you should have the newer ones on that they are dark color. If you have the early ones they are square and white and break off, you need a new spring holder with the new pads in it, its an upgrade, but you can do it any time. Also good idea to get the spacer that goes behind it as eventually the snapring on the shaft will fail they all do, then it hits the trans case. You must get one if you put a larger spring or umax spring on it. And I'd get a new nut if yours is not locking well because old ones can fly off. I'm shopping for you right lol. Whatever you put on there you wont replace it again that stuff lasts long time, so depends on if you keep the cart maybe.

Clones are cheap to put in I only had about 400 in the first one I did but made all the stuff by hand, it took a while. Now you can get mounts and stuff. Clones 15 hp are 180-300+ bucks, vegas 460 600 bucks but is a built engine. Yes they are fun, or you can go larger to a twin.

If you don't have a puller emergency way to remove the sheave is use a long rod with a rounded end, like 3/4 inch, and 3lb hammer, and hit it between the ramps on back side with rod against the trans straight as you can manage, with the nut part way off. A good crack will pop it loose if its been off, a few if its been on a long time then rotate ramps and keep hitting it.

I don't know about the spider. You can get on tntgolf and they have factory parts diagrams that will show you how it goes together with all parts. Someone here may have a manual you can download, I got my G9 manual here.

The gears in the CC I could see they were worn incorrectly, not the way they should have worn. Normally there is no wear they just get shiny from contact.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:12 PM   #5
harveje
Not Yet Wild

Thank you, got most of the stuff ordered this evening, I took a shot on the bearings, it's lookin like Yamaha bearing part numbers may contain the bearing number 93306-004X5-00 may be a 6004, I checked them with calipers and there dang close. #40 circlip on input shaft looked to be very thin flat steel that held the gear in place. I'll see if the replacement is identical.
Again Thanks for the help
Old 04-16-2017, 09:20 PM   #6
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The bearings you listed. Sounds right. I have a list I can check tomorrow. I use napa bearings and have aftermarket seals. I'm north of Memphis if you need anything.
craig tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:30 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Yeah I would get that thing buttoned up and working before I did anything else. The input shaft spacer is a metal ring with the splines cut into it so it sits on the splines and does not use the groove. The secondary clutch tends to push right over that clip over the years. But you don't have to mess with that right now unless its not usable.

I didn't have any big issues with the trans I did, keep it clean, change out the bearings and stuff, make sure its sealed up good. Try to find if it leaked and fix that. Unless you found shims or something there is usually nothing you have to prelaod or measure like in a car rear.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:41 PM   #8
harveje
Not Yet Wild

Well parts will not be in till early next week so kiddos are still mad..
CraigTN I'm about 90 miles east of you straight across on hwy 72.
I did find a service manual that will help allot
Thanks again
Old 04-18-2017, 07:33 PM   #9
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

I hope you didn't buy cheap gears other wise youll be doing it again.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:24 PM   #10
harveje
Not Yet Wild

gears look to be ok, just a complete bearing and seal job
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha