lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2017, 08:46 PM   #21
dschaffer
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: To build or to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Another idea if you are somewhat handy is to find a yamaha G 14-16 with a broken engine. These usually go for several hundred dollars. Get the vegascarts big block swap and for less than $2000 you have a whole new engine, clutch, and exhaust system.If something happened to my VC 460 powered G14 that is exactly what I would do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
G22 one of the best carts. Even the stock engine you can sell for good money if you swap. My G9 would hit 30 down the road, took about quarter mile (lol) to get that fast, had to have 15psi in the rear 22s so they were 23+ (rounded tires they grow with air). That was on gps I think I hit 31 few times. With my clone in same cart I have hit 38 because it revs more, and it didn't take that far its up to 35 pretty fast. I'd like to hit 40 maybe this summer with new cam and rod it will, but I spend hardly any time over 30 in normal riding and don't ride roads much just some dirt ones sometimes. I had to align the front end to run 38 without the cart zigging around on me. It sure feels fast just the same.

Maybe you should consider a VC460 in your cart, its tons of fun. Mine just about will be after these mods, I bought my 420 before the 460 was out. Cart is ton of fun, there are trails that get nasty or hills I don't bother with in the cart, then its time to ride a utv. But locally the cart is much nicer, its quiet, instantly moving, its cooler on hot days, quiet even with a clone, don't tear up yards and stuff either, don't take much fuel, lot nicer to hang out with people on the cart, easy to do yard work and move stuff around. Many people I know have both, they go on long rides in the utv and use the cart daily.
Thank you all for the feedback. Unless I find a great deal on a "built" cart, I am feeling like a build is the way to go. If I were to go the route of finding a cart with a bad motor and putting in a big block, what cart should I look for? G14-G16 only? Or are there other options?
Is $2500 too much for a 07?
dschaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-04-2017, 09:00 PM   #22
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

G14-16 are same iirc except the 14 has the older G9 engine in it. If you can buy anything I say buy newer get close to a G22 as you can, but often you have to take what you find. I need to get another cart just not found a deal and little time to look. My G9 is a 92 and bought it in Jan 99. I might end up with a G14-16 just because I rather something cheaper I can build up and prices here are amazing. I mean a friend of mine about 3 yr ago bought a used rhino for $4K, it was really nice looking and 4wd, its way more machine than a cart. I could have sold the G14 another guy bought for 2K, could have sold it for 3K no problem it had lift/seat/roof on it, that was a deal but he found it out in the sticks. Here its just hard to find a deal, other places much easier. But here you have lots of campgrounds and retirees, etc.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:43 PM   #23
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I would add any 4 stroke cart you find CHEAP is worth considering for an engine swap. Just makes sure the transaxle isn't shot. Of course late fall and early winter are when they seem to be at bargain prices. Mr Mike up here seems to be a master a finding real deals on gassers with hurt engines.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #24
icyveins
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Another idea if you are somewhat handy is to find a yamaha G 14-16 with a broken engine. These usually go for several hundred dollars. Get the vegascarts big block swap and for less than $2000 you have a whole new engine, clutch, and exhaust system.If something happened to my VC 460 powered G14 that is exactly what I would do.
no you wont find a cart in Michigan with a bad engine for a couple hundred dollars. a 20 year old cart in Michigan with a junk engine still goes for 1k
icyveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:15 AM   #25
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

There is an ezgo gas roller in ann arbor right now for $300. It is probably a 2 stroker. But if you are persistent the dead gassers are out there for cheap. Another example was the first VC G16 posting was a guy that found a yamaha G16 with a lift kit and blown engine for $200.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:31 AM   #26
QB100
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschaffer View Post
Thanks for the info. What years can you find the 357? I am not interested in staying stock though unless stock is fast. I'm hoping to be able to get at least 30mph out of it. If it weren't for the added size, noise, complexity and price, I would likely go with a utv of some sort. The honda pioneer 5 looks pretty great and still small but the cost is out of my reach. I should probably wait until winter but I'm not sure I can. There is a good chance I will buy a cart by next weekend. I've got the bug. Bad!
my cart does about 23 with just me in it using the "zip tie" governor bypass.

it goes straight but is a bit touchy on the steering, doesn't take much steering wheel movement to put me in the ditch at top speed.... don't think I want it to go any faster, or hit any major bumps. especially if I have 4 people on it. only the tires provide suspension in the front. I keep is nice and slow when off in the trails.

people going 30+ on 6 in lifts scare me... unless you have one of the long travel kits on the front... those are a bit more cost though..
QB100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:33 AM   #27
dschaffer
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
There is an ezgo gas roller in ann arbor right now for $300. It is probably a 2 stroker. But if you are persistent the dead gassers are out there for cheap. Another example was the first VC G16 posting was a guy that found a yamaha G16 with a lift kit and blown engine for $200.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QB100 View Post
my cart does about 23 with just me in it using the "zip tie" governor bypass.

it goes straight but is a bit touchy on the steering, doesn't take much steering wheel movement to put me in the ditch at top speed.... don't think I want it to go any faster, or hit any major bumps. especially if I have 4 people on it. only the tires provide suspension in the front. I keep is nice and slow when off in the trails.

people going 30+ on 6 in lifts scare me... unless you have one of the long travel kits on the front... those are a bit more cost though..
Thanks again fellas. It sounds like I should wait for the right deal. This will be difficult but it does make the most sense. I'm not opposed to driving out of the state for a good deal. I power my diesel Ford Excursion with waste vegetable oil so there really wouldn't be much additional cost. Could be a fun trip.
Or I could pay $2500 for an 07 next weekend, add a back seat, zip tie the carb and run it until it needs a new engine. Would it be better to spend 3 grand on a 10 or even $3500 on a 13? Add a lift and tires as time allows.
I've decided against EZ-GO's but I'm not really sure way. I do not want the aluminum frame of a Club Car as I've heard of them cracking under weight.
So many decisions.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:59 AM   #28
dschaffer
Not Yet Wild

If this isn't to loud and I can come up with a back seat somehow, why not?
https://nmi.craigslist.org/snw/6111482606.html
Old 05-05-2017, 11:39 AM   #29
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I would look for a g29/drive I bought one this spring coming off an older Yamaha night and day difference
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:10 PM   #30
dschaffer
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicyunicorn View Post
I would look for a g29/drive I bought one this spring coming off an older Yamaha night and day difference
What year and what are the differences? There are some stock 2014's for $3650. More then I want to spend on a stock unit but maybe its worth it? I could probably wait 6 months and get it for under $3000.
https://nmi.craigslist.org/sgd/6097521244.html
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha