lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-28-2018, 02:08 PM   #1
Bamaman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Unhappy Brake lights will not work

I have a 2007 gas club car. I installed a light kit on it. Everything works except brake lights. I plugged them into two wires under my floor. This is where it said to plug. I have tried it with switch on and off no luck. I have looked at several threads with no help. Does anyone know how to fix this problem. Thanks in advance.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-02-2018, 10:07 AM   #2
planejob
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Brake lights will not work

It's electricity, it flows. Do you have a multi-meter? The free one from Harbor Freight is good enough in this case. You'll need to check that power is getting introduced to the circuit somewhere - probably at that plug if it's the only connection of the new system to the existing system. If the plug is dead check to make sure that if it is a fused circuit the fuse is present, and not open. Also, check to make sure your lights are grounded - electricity has to have a path back to ground or it won't flow.

If you are getting power to the new brake light wiring, then follow to the switch - ensure the power flows through the switch when it is closed. Then ensure the brake pedal is actually physically closing the switch as it is installed in your cart (is it pressing the switch far enough, etc.).

Then check your fixtures. Are you running LED taillights? LEDs are polarized and only work one way - so if they are LEDs check to ensure they are installed with the correct polarity. an easy way to check is to turn them around and see if they work. If that's not it, take the bulbs out and use that multimeter to see if you are getting power to the fixture.

You're just going to have to trace the circuit until you isolate the point where the electricity is not flowing.
planejob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:04 PM   #3
Bamaman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Smile Re: Brake lights will not work

Thanks for the reply. After reading many threads I checked my two wires under the floor board. Neither had any power going to the light switch. I figured it needed it so I spliced into a hot wire behind dash and ran to the red wire. This did not work so I ran it to the other wire a brown/white one. It worked then. Happy,happy,happy. The only thing though is when I tried red wire it blew a fuse at battery. Took me a while to figure that out but all good now. The switch was the one screwed to the peddle and wire run behind peddle. Have all lights working and installed my 12 volt plug also.
I hope this will help others needing this fix.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:06 PM   #4
planejob
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Brake lights will not work

Bamaman, good for you! and thanks for following up with a solution. Perhaps others will need this same info!
planejob is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car