lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2018, 05:57 PM   #1
BrettAllen
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Cool 1997 & UP Engine Swap: Ideas to sponsors:

THE TITLE SAYS IT ALL...
INSTEAD OF HIGH SPEED GEARS OR SWAPPING OUT THE REAR END; HAS ANYONE TRIED A FLYWHEEL PTO KIT? I SEE ONE ONLINE FOR V TWIN? THE ONE ONLINE FOR PREDATOR IS $79 BUT DOESN'T LOOK THAT SOUND? BUT ANOTHER FOR ABOUT $179 LOOKS FAR BETTER... HAS ANYONE TRIED IT? AND DOES ANYONE KNOW IF ONE BE FOUND FOR THE THE LOWER DISPLACEMENT 440cc ENGINES? THIS SURE SEEMS LIKE THE WAY TO GO TO ME.... AN UNHAPPY 1997 CLOCKWISE FE290 OWNER...

BUT... I WAS ALSO WONDERING...

1) WHY HASN'T ANY OF THE SPONSORS COME OUT WITH A JACKSTAND KIT? ...
(THIS MEANS YOUR COUNTER CLOCKWISE STORE BOUGHT ENGINE SITS IN THE CART BACKWARDS FROM THE WAY THE CART WAS DESIGNED - WITH THE DRIVE CLUTCH ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE, BUT YOU USE A JACKSTAND & CHAIN TO REVERSE THE POWER TO THE REAR END)...

2) WHY HASN'T A SPONSOR DESIGNED OR OFFERED CC ENGINES WITH A PTO... OR A DIY KIT?
(FOR THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW: THIS MEANS YOU COULD MOUNT YOUR STORE BOUGHT CC ENGINE IN THE CART THE WAY THE CART WAS DESIGNED - BUT WITH YOUR CLUTCH COMING OFF THE FLYWHEEL SIDE)...

3) EITHER IDEA WOULD DO AWAY WITH THE NEED FOR HIGH SPEED GEARS...
INSTALLING THE HIGH SPEED GEARS, I AM SURE, TURNS OFF A LOT OF POTENTIAL SWAPS; AS MANY EITHER DON'T HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE, EXPERTISE OR TOOLS TO DO THE JOB (A PRESS S REQUIRED I BELIEVE).

4) SOMEONE COULD ALSO MAKE A VIDEO TO SELL OR PUT ON YOUTUBE, TO SHOW OWNERS HOW TO DO THESE JOBS:
a) BUILD WITH A PILLOW BLOCK JACKSHAFT & MOUNT,
b) INSTALL A PTO,
c) INSTALL HIGH SPEED GEARS
I SEE NOTHING ON YOUTUBE...

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Last edited by BrettAllen; 12-01-2018 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: new idea
BrettAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-01-2018, 06:15 PM   #2
drift240se
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 1997 & UP Engine Swap: Ideas to sponsors:

I feel like this is your million dollar idea here. You could probably find existing parts to put together and sell as a kit. it would all be for club car as far as i know but heck, see what the cost is and if there is a market.
drift240se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:28 PM   #3
rib33024

It's been done. There is threads here about this. It won't work for long. The bearing on the flywheel side of the motor is not as strong as the clutch side of the engine. And your thinking of a jackshaft not a jackstand.

And anything you can think of about these carts and engines. More than likely has been done here on BGW These guys are crazy. And Boo. She special

Some thing like this. That's the $79 one

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:03 PM   #4
BrettAllen
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

YEAH, THAT'S THE $79 PREDATOR PTO I MENTIONED, THE PHOTO BELOW IS THE ONE FOR $279 - FAR MORE SUBSTANTIAL AND I BELIEVE MADE FOR HONDA V TWINS, SO WOULD ALSO FIT CLONES AS WELL. AT ONE TIME, PTOs WERE PRETTY STANDARD STUFF; WHEN PEOPLE LIKE MY GRANDFATHER WERE USING BELT DRIVES TO DO THE MAJORITY OF THEIR FARM WORK: SPLITTING WOOD, RUNNING MILLS, ETC. SO THEY'VE BEEN OUT THERE A LONG TIME. MY IDEA WAS THAT SOMEONE SHOULD OFFER AN ENGINE WITH A PTO ALREADY INSTALLED - THAT SOMEONE LIKE VEGAS CARTS SHOULD EITHER OFFER IT AS A KIT OR INSTALLED - SO PEOPLE COULD EASILY REFERENCE THE IDEA... AND WITH ALL MY READING THROUGH THIS SITE AND OTHERS, I DIDN'T FIND MANY POSTS ABOUT ANYONE USING A PTO TO REMEDY THE 97 AND UP CLOCKWISE ENGINE PROBLEM - JUST ADDING HIGH SPEED GEARS OR FINDING A NEW REAR END.
THE OTHER REASON I BROUGHT IT I UP WAS TO SEE IF ANYONE HAD ACTUALLY TRIED IT. AS I SAID, UP UNTIL THE 60s, PTOs WERE A WELL ESTABLISHED ENGINE ADD ON, EVEN FORD MOTORS OFFERED THEM FOR THEIR EARLY MODEL As?? (AS WELL AS THINGS LIKE TRACKS & SKIS). DIESEL TRACTOR ENGINES USE THEM TO THIS DAY, AND THEY CAME STOCK ON MANY EARLY ENGINES. SO I NEVER SAID I THOUGHT OF THE PTO AS MY IDEA, ONLY ASKING IF ANYONE HAD TRIED IT... OR IF ANY SPONSORS HAD CONSIDERED SELLING THEM ON AN ENGINE?? I'M SURE A LOT OF GUYS JUST GIVE UP ON THEIR CLUB CAR DS SWAPS, NOT ABLE TO JUSTIFY $2500 TO THROW INTO A GOLF CART ENGINE SWAP... AND AS FOR THE BEARING, WELL THAT'S WHERE AN EXPERIENCED ENGINE BUILDER LIKE VEGAS CARTS AND A KIT COMES IN. AS FOR A JACKSHAFT KIT, THAT SEEMS LIKE A PRETTY EASY & AFFORDABLE KIT TO OFFER... AND I JUST WONDERED WHY NO ONE HAD DONE IT? BUY AN ENGINE OF THE SHELF, INSTALL THE JACKSHAFT AND CHAIN AND YOU'RE IN BUSINESS...

AS FOR THE "JACKSHAFT," YOU ARE CORRECT! ...I'D GO BACK AND EDIT IT, BUT YOU ALREADY CAUGHT ME. (BTW, I USE CAPS BECAUSE I AM VISUALLY DISABLED). DON'T PICK ON THE BLIND GUY!

https://cdn3.volusion.com/tquwf.ssxz...11Z6L820-2.jpg
Old 12-02-2018, 06:23 PM   #5
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

The older engines had heavier cranks that often were supported on both ends by large bearings, often tapered roller. They could support a big side load/pull of a belt or chain. The newer engines, this pto is designed to drive a load directly, [hydraulic pump,ect] via a chain coupling or lovejoy, or a SMALL side load like a charging generator. A jackshaft, if you can find room for it as it can only be welded to the cradle, will have to be VERY well supported to control vibrations from having belts on both ends. Either it or the motor will have to be adjustable to tension the primary belt. Not saying it can't be done but you see the issues on the table. Scrounging up a transaxle the turns the right way for a standard motor seems a lot simpler no?
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:05 PM   #6
BrettAllen
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks, those were the answers i was looking for. So do they make any gas engines with a PTO designed to last today? Or were those all from a bygone era? So it is something an experienced engine builder could get around then. I guess that was really my point... (long-winded); someone should consider it. At one time they built them for decades...
So my final question would be... Why hasn't ANYONE located that proverbial clockwise engine so many say in their posts is out there... somewhere (RHETORICAL)?
But i do wonder how much it might cost to create a line of... say 100 clockwise v twin engines, or what a minimum order might have to be??
Old 12-02-2018, 07:51 PM   #7
BrettAllen
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

ANSWERING MY OWN QUESTION: HERE ARE THEY ARE FOLKS: FOR THE 97 AND UP CLUB CAR DS OWNERS! THE PROVERBIAL FRONT PTO ENGINES TO SOLVE YOUR CLOCKWISE ROTATION SWAP PROBLEMS; BUT BETTER FIND ONE USED, AS ALL ARE $1700 TO $2K NEW!
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=sh...h=534&dpr=1.38
Old 12-03-2018, 02:44 AM   #8
BrettAllen
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Cool Re: 1997 & UP Engine Swap: Ideas to sponsors:

#DUNDEEBARNBUGGY... WOW; THEN I CAME ACROSS THIS WHILE LOOKING AT PTO KITS ON EBAY. SEEMS YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT ABOUT THE BEARINGS IN A CLONE LIKE A PREDATOR, BUT A KOHLER OR SIMILAR QUALITY ENGINE MAY BE BETTER SUITED TO THE TASK...
HERE'S A GREAT FORUM DISCUSSION I CAME ACROSS. MY IDEA IS TO OPEN UP A WHOLE NEW "SWAP OPTION" MANY 97 & UP CLUB CAR DS OWNERS NEVER THOUGHT WAS A VIABLE OPTION... AND SPONSORS NEVER THOUGHT TO INCLUDE... POSSIBLY BECAUSE THEY MAY NOT HAVE BEEN BORN, I LIKE I WAS, WHEN PEOPLE WERE STILL USING THEM... BUT MAY WELL BE ONE THEY MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER; AS SOMEONE ACTUALLY STARTED THE HOMEWORK FOR ALL OF THEM! AS I SAID... IN MY GRANDFATHER'S DAY, & BEFORE... PTOs WERE THE GO TO SOLUTION TO POWER ALL KINDS OF FARM ACCESSORIES, BUT THEN LIKE THE BOOM BOXES OF THE 1980s THAT ALSO DIED OUT, PEOPLE STARTED USING CRAPPY LITTLE COMPUTER SPEAKERS AGAIN, AND HAD FORGOTTEN WHAT WE'D DISCOVERED 40 YRS AGO... THAT GOOD SOUND ACTUALLY MATTERS! SEE... IF YOU WAIT LONG ENOUGH, OR LIVE LONG ENOUGH... "WHAT'S OLD IS ALWAYS NEW AGAIN." RIGHT NOW, MEN ARE WEARING THE SHAVE-SIDED, LONG ON TOP, HAIRSTYLES OF THE 1920s!~ AND PTOs MAY JUST BE "THE NEW WAVE" OF THE CLUB CAR DS FUTURE!

https://www.mytractorforum.com/44-sm...heel-side.html

Last edited by BrettAllen; 12-03-2018 at 03:06 AM.. Reason: ENGLISH TEACHER/CHRONIC OBSESSIVE DISORDER
Old 12-03-2018, 03:14 AM   #9
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I'm not anywhere near an expert on this topic, and I don't really understand what you are trying to accomplish. But I may have an idea worth looking into.

In the early 2000's when fat tire Harleys were all the rage, there were aftermarket kits to move the primary to the opposte side of the big twins to the rear wheel. This allowed space to center the wheel and equal weight distribution.

It's been a while since I looked at any of this but I'm sure they are still available. At least something worth looking at.

Hope this helps.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:36 AM   #10
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I just looked at my spare VC 460 block,crankshaft and front cover and bearings. They all appear to be of the same size. Both the front cover and block are webbed around the bearing area. Finding a way to mount the clutch and pulley on the flywheel side might be the challenge. P.S. On NRracing's it looks like the main case bearings are both the same.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clockwise engine swap, jackstand, pto, solutions
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car