lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-09-2019, 11:02 PM   #1
kmcmjmtm
Not Yet Wild

Default Gas start/governor basic principle

Ok, here goes. Been reading and searching and have seen conflicting posts (or I'm just overwhelmed and or confused) bought an 06 precedent, ran fine, trailered it home and wouldn't start. Looking for a few answers.
1) disconnect small posts at solenoid, add batt power (+&-)and see if starter turns, if so, starter & solenoid ok...correct??
2) jump big posts at solenoid...here is where I've seen conflicting/confusing info...shouldn't this directly power starter and spin??? I've read where if it spins then solenoid is BAD!!! What??
If not which posts on starter can I put jumper cables on and rule out s/g ??
Also, I can't find a wiring diagram for these ANYWHERE, lots of DS stuff, are they identical??
Thanks for any help, just trying to break it down step by step and start ruling some things out
kmcmjmtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-09-2019, 11:29 PM   #2
kmcmjmtm
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Gas start/governor basic principle

Wanna add, even the sticky labeled diagrams has no precedent diagrams
Old 02-09-2019, 11:39 PM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I know you are frustrated right now.

First things first. How strong is the battery?

You just towed it many miles. Check for a loose wire.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:57 AM   #4
kmcmjmtm
Not Yet Wild

12.5V, couldn't find my load tester, pushed in shop and hooked up trickle charger overnight. Went to turn heaters on this morning and cart fired right up. So.... Could still be 1)bad battery, 2) bad S/G 3) voltage reg 4) loose/corroded wire/s
I've searched this forum and found a few Voltage regulator tests. Anybody have a diagram of the S/G... What posts are what?? Thanks
Old 02-10-2019, 11:19 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I would recommend having the battery tested and check the connections at the terminals for dirt/corrosion before you start deep diving into the thing. Might just be chasing your own tail unnecessarily.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:38 AM   #6
kmcmjmtm
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, yes, that's the plan. But with it being new to me, I'd like to check the VR and the S/G so I know where I stand, or at the very least know HOW to when and if the need arises. Thanks again
p.s. I'm finding it odd how little "precedent" help there is on the net....am I missing something? Are they and the DS identical other than body style?
Old 02-19-2019, 05:37 PM   #7
mrlmd
Gone Wild

12.5V is OK but represents a battery that is about 80% charged. A fully charged battery reads 12.6-12.8V. A battery maintainer or trickle charger is not meant to be a battery charger. The maintainer puts out 1.5A while the charger may put out 6-12A depending on the charger and it's settings. Put the battery back on the trickle charger you have for another 24 hrs and then see what the voltage reads - you may not have given it enough time to fully bring the battery up to specs.
You can easily test your charging system by measuring the voltage across the battery terminals when the engine is running at moderate speed. If it now reads 13.5-14.5V your charging system is perfectly fine and no need to test anything further. If you can't do that with the cart running, put it in maintenance mode and measure it at mid rom or higher.
And clean your battery terminals and make sure the connections are tight.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
governor, schematic, starter, wiring diagram
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car