lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2019, 05:42 AM   #1
billfarley
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default How does Yamaha handle speed code upgrade?

I bought a used cart. 2008 YDRE. The controller had the speed upgrade. The controller died and I replaced it with a new OEM controller, which of course does not have the speed upgrade. I didn't even think about that being a newbie. And from reading more here realize I should have just gotten an Alltrax. Live and learn. Anyway, sounds like the Yamaha code is cart specific. That leads me to wonder how does Yamaha link the code to a cart? And if it is by serial number is a chance that I can get the upgrade to the replacement controller without buying it. I would still need to get a Yamaha dealer to enter the code and I'm sure they will charge for that.
billfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2019, 07:30 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: How does Yamaha handle speed code upgrade?

The PTV speed code is actually programmed/hidden in the controller itself (the controller doesn't know the cart's serial number). Every controller has a unique speed code. There is no possible way for the end user to enable it.

I'll explain how a controller replacement goes for me (as a Yamaha dealer, Yamaha won't even talk to you about it as an end user besides "go to authorized dealer"). I install new controller. I record vehicle serial number, And controller serial number (they are totally different, not even formatted the same way). I then call Yamaha, give them my dealer number to confirm they can talk to me about this. The purpose of this call is to "link" the cart serial number with the controller serial number. After I confirm their question of "is the cart properly equipped to be a PTV?" (lights & required accessories). Only then can I order the speed code for that controller. I can either order it over the phone with them, or order it online in the dealer bookstore. Either way, the 2 serial numbers must be linked before they will allow me to get the code.

After all that is done, I take that 6 number PTV speed code and apply it to the controller using one of 2 ways, either using a palm pda with Yamahas software on it, or a laptop with Yamahas software on it. (I still use the Palm pda for the DC cars, as I have never been able to make the PC software work on DC cars). There is no "cheat code" as far as I know. And, no, I won't give you the software. It wouldn't help you without specific hardware pieces to go with it anyway. And, it would do nothing to get you closer to having the unique code Yamaha won't sell directly to you.

If your next thought was "I was thinking of trying a random 'dictionary attack' to find the code without paying for it", each login attempt takes 15-30 seconds, so being 6 numbers long would take longer than you would own the golf cart. (And I don't know if it "locks you out" after a certain number of failed attempts).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:07 PM   #3
billfarley
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: How does Yamaha handle speed code upgrade?

Thanks for the insider info. I was hoping it was tied to the cart serial number so maybe Yamaha would provide the code to a dealer without paying for it again. Now I know that is not the case. Kind of salt in the wound for someone who has a controller take a dump and then have to pay Yamaha again for the code. Gosh, I wish I had figured this out before I bought that OEM controller. I wish I had bought an Alltrax.
billfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha