lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-24-2019, 02:29 PM   #1
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Transmission problem...

Just a gut check, in case anyone may know what I might be missing before I swap the whole rear end. Might have found one, if so I'll buy it regardless because it never hurts to have a spare but if I can save the work, I will!

2002 DS. Driving around light and easy, how I usually it does great no problem. But under a heavy load (like driving down my VERY muddy and sloppy street right now) its pedal.tk the floor or you're getting out to push

Under a load, it slips out of gear into neutral. Tried adjusting the cable, its good, no difference. Completely disconnected thr cable at the transmission, no difference. Still pops out of gear. I've got a zip tie holding the lever in "F" now and it drives great, doesnt slip out anymore. Otherwise it drives great. No noise or anything as long as it stays in gear!

Removed the shift lever off the trans, the shaft has a fair amount if play up and down. Might be normal? Seems excessive to me. Almost 1/4" of up/down movement.

I've never been inside one of these because I've never needed to. They seem to be pretty solid units overall and I've had a lot of them! If its internal (which it seems to be) I dont mind tearing into it, but just dont want the down time to order parts, wait, etc. Rather swap it and tear into it at my leisure so I can keep driving thr cart. But if I'm just missing something stupid please let me know. I'd like to be able to not just drive it (like I can now) but also use reverse
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-25-2019, 04:19 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Transmission problem...

Input shaft bearings in the trans are probably shot. This allows the shaft to walk back and forth a bit and can knock it put of gear. Grab the secondary clutch and see if it moves in/out.
Either that or the synchro hub is toast, but shaft bearings are much more common failure.
Not terribly difficult to replace but taking the case apart can be a bit of fun.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 05:00 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Thanks buddy. Figured if anyone here has seen a failure on an older club car it's you :)

I did forget to mention I did check the input shaft and it has no play at all. It's nice and tight. I'm guessing the shift collar or synchro being worn out. Usually with a car if you have to hold it in gear that's what it is (not that anybody drives a manual anymore but me apparently lol)

I'll probably just buy a new rear and call it a day. I'll repair this when I get some free time and decide what to do with it from there :)

When that time comes I'll update this post with pictures and root cause for future searches.
Old 12-25-2019, 06:12 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Still possible it’s a bearing issue, but it’s usually pretty obvious when you open it up.

Another thing to check is the cable mount brackets. You mentioned adjusting the cable but sometimes if the brackets are loose or about to break it may not let the cable push all the way.

Also might be a good idea to check the cable, remove it from the ends and put the trans in gear by hand and see if it still pops out.
Old 12-25-2019, 07:09 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Remove it from the ends and put the trans in gear by hand and see if it still pops out.
That was test #1 after adjusting the cable didnt work. Popped out almost instantly when I stomped the gas

I need a cart around the property. I'm 90% done swapping a 15hp lifan into an ezgo. Should hopefully have that running and driving good in the next day or so. If it's drivable then I'll tear this one down and give mr hicks a call. If not then ill just pick up a used one and drop it in and be done, save the down time
Old 12-25-2019, 07:45 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

That’s definitely internal then. I have one I need to rebuild for the same reason. Been sitting on the floor in the back of the shop for about two years now. Might get to it eventually.
Old 12-25-2019, 08:29 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
That’s definitely internal then. I have one I need to rebuild for the same reason. Been sitting on the floor in the back of the shop for about two years now. Might get to it eventually.

Exactly why I sell off extra stuff... I'd love to have a nice hoard to pull from but I think that would get out of control quickly.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:43 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Just to follow up, I took it apart tonight and it's pretty much what I expected. the collar/shift fork that slides the shifter into gear is badly worn. I can hold it in place, and it grabs the gear like it should. But when you let it rest on the detent, it barely grabs the gear and I can see how it would easily slide/pop off the gear and back to th synchro rings.

I've attached a few pictures. You can see the part I circled in red... that shiny part doesnt look like it should be there.

Pic 3 is the shifter resting on the detent position. It barely engages the gear, but engages enough to make it work.

Pic 4 is what it *should* look like when its fully engaged.

I guess mr. Hicks is gonna get a call on Monday hopefully he can get the parts I need hard to tell, but it looks like there should be a bushing or something in there...

I may decide to put in a set of high speed gears and either keep it for myself, or do another "how to" write up on how to install them, and sell the chunk to someone on here for a good deal that doesn't have a press or the means to do it themselves
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200125_233458.jpg (237.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200125_230304.jpg (232.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200125_230424.jpg (198.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200125_230429.jpg (227.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-26-2020, 09:16 AM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I see a ton of grey goo in there like that fluid has never been changed. Do either of those gears have play on the shaft?
Kinda wonder if just cleaning all the chunky fluid off would make it work again, but the grey stuff had to come from somewhere. Usually that’s a sign of a bearing going out.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:49 AM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

No, theres about 1/8" ridge worn into the shift fork where it was riding there. Fluid was pretty nasty and glittery but it appears to all have come from that shift fork. Every other gear looks good and th bearings are all tight and smooth. I pulled all the shafts out of it after that pic and the only wear I can find on anything is that fork.

I will say the cable WAS out of adjustment. I'm guessing that it was close enough to get it into gear for the first 17 years of its life but eventually wore itself out. Shows the importance long term of little simple cable adjustments...

And yes that fluid was quite nasty. I've found the part number for the shift fork and it appears to have been discontinued. So I'll put a little time into seeing if I can fix it and have a good trans out of it. My cart works great with the other trans I bought on ebay so not like I "need" this one to be good.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car