lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2020, 04:16 PM   #1
eatmor2
Not Yet Wild

Question Forward gear pops into neutral

2003 Club Car DS gas golf cart pops into neutral when going forward unless I physically hold the gear selector down in the forward position to keep it there. Please help; I can’t figure out what the problem is.
eatmor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2020, 08:28 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Forward gear pops into neutral

Either the shift cable is not adjusted correctly or the input shaft bearings in the transmission are toast.

Remove the shift cable from the lever on the trans, push the lever manually into forward. See if the cart will drive and the lever stays in forward. If it stays, then you have a cable problem.
If it still pops out, the transmission needs to be opened up for inspection.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:23 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

When my 2002 DS did that, the shift fork was worn. I have a thread on it here somewhere.

Finding a replacement wasnt easy... but replacement was quick and simple once I found one.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:51 PM   #4
eatmor2
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
When my 2002 DS did that, the shift fork was worn. I have a thread on it here somewhere.

Finding a replacement wasnt easy... but replacement was quick and simple once I found one.
What is the “Shift fork”? Do you know the part number? Thanks for your reply.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:06 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Did you disconnect the cable from the shifter arm in the back and shift it manually at the trans itself? A simple cable adjustment could be all that's necessary if it drives fine like that.

The shift fork is discontinued. I got one from J&M Golf carts in evans, GA. They might have another but that's not an easy part to find... and you will have to open and disassemble the transmission to replace it. Not a 10 minute job
Old 07-15-2020, 10:36 AM   #6
eatmor2
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Did you disconnect the cable from the shifter arm in the back and shift it manually at the trans itself? A simple cable adjustment could be all that's necessary if it drives fine like that.

The shift fork is discontinued. I got one from J&M Golf carts in evans, GA. They might have another but that's not an easy part to find... and you will have to open and disassemble the transmission to replace it. Not a 10 minute job
I sure did - that was brilliant advice. It popped out even with the linkage disconnected at the trans itself, so it must be what you’re talking about. Is it part number 101890001 & how’d you know that was the issue?
Old 07-15-2020, 11:08 AM   #7
Jeff McGuire
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmor2 View Post
I sure did - that was brilliant advice. It popped out even with the linkage disconnected at the trans itself, so it must be what you’re talking about. Is it part number 101890001 & how’d you know that was the issue?
Until you get into the transmission/rear end you will not truly know what the issue is. If the fork is is the problem it should present itself.
Jeff McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:57 PM   #8
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

You might want to give David Hicks at revolution golf cars in ga a call. He knows these rear ends well and is pretty knowledgeable about them popping out of gear. Could be cable adjustment, worn shift fork, Bad synchros, and there are some shims in there that wear out and allow this to happen. David maybe able to suggest couple things to try to figure out the exact culprit. He can also order you the parts for it as long at they are not discontinued but he may also have some of the parts there at his shop.
KRAZYMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:32 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff McGuire View Post
Until you get into the transmission/rear end you will not truly know what the issue is. If the fork is is the problem it should present itself.
What he said.

Next step is to pull the rear end out. Not a fun task, but you won't know for sure until you have it out and open it up. I've got a thread on here somewhere with mine, and I updated it after the fix with new and old shift fork pictures. It was obviously very worn

Tags
gear, selector, switch, transmission
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car