lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2020, 09:39 PM   #1
SV1
Getting Wild

Default Battery cable replacement

Are the battery cables normal automotive 4 gauge? Can automotive 4 gauge cables be used?. I searched every where . Service manual say the neg is a 6 gauge. There is no ref to the positive cable. Cart parts dealers seem to only sell cables for electric carts so that isn’t an answer. I am working on a problem and don’t have the luxury of just going with what I think and causing another problem. Thanks in advance
SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2020, 09:42 PM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Battery cable replacement

If the book says 6 gauge you can safely use 4 gauge without any harm or fear.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:19 PM   #3
SV1
Getting Wild

Thanks. Wanted to know I wasn’t making a mistake. I appreciate your help
Old 06-28-2020, 08:21 PM   #4
SV1
Getting Wild

I found the answer is you can use automotive battery cables but you probably do not want to. The cable thickness requires cutting a wider grove in your electrical box and the end that screws to the solenoid needs modifications to fit in the electrical box. A small engine shop was able to supply 6 gauge cable and end clips to construct the cable.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:20 PM   #5
w4thm
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Hey SV1,

You sound like you're hands on like I am. Know anyone at an electronics recycle place or someone that works at a data center? The battery cables used in the big commercial grade UPS gear is great for carts.

I've gotten my hands on a few junked enterprise grade UPS and it was definitely worth dragging home. Scrapped the junk batteries for dinner money and recovered a bunch of nice quality high current cabling with brass connectors on it. I rewired my classic cart with the stuff. I even scored some nice powerpole connectors for charging.
w4thm is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car