lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-16-2020, 01:14 PM   #1
Ram2500cummins
Not Yet Wild

Default Club car clutch kit?

I assume it’s an issue with my clutch but I’m not 100%

Engine runs perfect. No issues there

Going up a grass hill with 3 people in the cart it couldn’t make it up. My dad has a Yamaha cart and it went up the hill no issue.

I assume it’s a bad clutch or something along those lines.

Any one have any idea at what I could check?

What would be the best clutch kit to buy?

Looking for a complete kit that includes a clutch puller as well
Ram2500cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-16-2020, 01:25 PM   #2
Ram2500cummins
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Club car clutch kit?

Just went out and looked at the golf cart. The rear clutch. Not the one at the engine looks like it has a broken spring. I assume that’s probably my issue.

Can I pull that off and rebuild it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D7EB895A-8741-4182-9D93-E4693903F186.jpg (106.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-16-2020, 03:12 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

That's part of the problem. Looks like one of the slide buttons has also broken off and the end of the screw is probably still in the clutch. Those screws are small, and not usually in very tight, so hopefully you can grab it with some pliers or vice grips and turn it out. Make sure the helix ramps are not mangled, otherwise that will need to be replaced as well.
Remove the 1/2" bolt that holds it on the shaft and it should slide off, but occasionally they get rusty and stuck to the shaft. You can Lightly pry out against the clutch but don't get carried away or you might crack the transmission case. There's a big snap ring on the end, and you will need a 3 jaw puller to remove the helix, then the rest should come apart easily. If the spring has scored the inner shaft of the clutch or damaged the sliding surface of the sheave, then the clutch will just need to be replaced, so it's best to remove it and disassemble it before ordering any parts.

What year is your cart? Does it have a lift and bigger tires? If so it would be a good time to put a power spring in the secondary clutch and that will give you better torque on the low end.

Look at the primary clutch (on the engine) and see if the sheaves are grooved or have a wavy appearance. If so you should probably replace the primary. If the sheaves are smooth and pretty flat, then it would be a good idea to rebuild that one with new weights and new slide buttons. The clutches have to work as a pair and having one freshly rebuilt will not always result in proper operation if paired with a worn out opposing clutch.
A new belt should be on the list as well.

Cart Parts Plus has everything to rebuild both clutches, and has new clutches as well if you need to replace either if yours. They also carry upgrade springs and very good quality heavy duty drive belts.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:22 PM   #4
Ram2500cummins
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info.

I actually found both clutches new so I wouldn’t have to rebuild them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163347948370

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263746064341

I think I’m just going to replace both clutches and replace the belt as well.

The cart is a 99 and completely stock.

Last time I tried to rebuild a clutch it turned into a nightmare. I may just replace the driven clutch because the primary doesn’t seem to look bad. This was a cart we bought to figure out if we even like camping. So I may just do the driven clutch and sell it and replace it next season.

The driven clutch looks like it’ll just come off without any special pullers or anything.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:56 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

That is the wrong style driven clutch for your cart and will not work. The spacing is wrong on that clutch and the belt will not line up properly. You need the all aluminum version. You also need to make sure to match the year of your cart, because the clutch is pre-loaded for the rotation of direction. Using the wrong direction clutch will result in problems and possibly a broken clutch.
96 and OLDER spin Counter Clockwise.
97 and NEWER spin Clockwise
Old 07-16-2020, 06:32 PM   #6
Ram2500cummins
Not Yet Wild

Would you be able to provide me a site or a link for the proper kit to rebuild my driven clutch? I’m leaning towards that being the issue more than anything at this point.

https://m.buggiesunlimited.com/produ...EaAtaQEALw_wcB

Will this one work? It says it fits 97-2015
Old 07-16-2020, 07:44 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

No that's the same as the one you linked to before, only it costs more because it has BU's mark-up in it. And Their listing is wrong.

These guys help support the forum, which helps keep a great resource online and available for us all. (BU does not)
http://www.cartpartsplus.com/golf-ca...lub-car-clutch
You can call them, I'm pretty sure they sell the stock spring as well, they sell a LOT of stuff that isn't listed on their website, and they sell good quality parts.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:21 AM   #8
Ram2500cummins
Not Yet Wild

Do you know if my club car is a DS model or precedent model?

https://www.amazon.com/Driven-Clutch...M00SQ48MMHEEHV

I found this one and it says it’s all aluminum.

I would rather order the whole assembly for ease of replacement then trying to replace springs and the buttons. Because from what I can tell that spring inside is “clocked”
Old 07-17-2020, 01:04 PM   #9
Ram2500cummins
Not Yet Wild

I got the driven clutch removed today. The spring is definitely broken and it’s missing one of the “buttons”

I am going to try and find a complete assembly

Strange thing is the part # on this clutch is 101636001 when I look it up it’s showing me that’s for an older cart

Just decoded my serial # and it turns out to be a 1997 model. Good thing I double checked that
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 54D61111-18D2-40D2-AE48-7DC5102A4947.jpg (131.1 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car