lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-11-2020, 01:19 PM   #1
tomakazi
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Changes to my gasser

After owning, modifying and enjoying three previous electric Club Cars, 2 DS and 1 Precedent I bought myself a 2017 Precedent with the Subaru EFI engine.
I would like to make the following changes and need some experienced help.
I would like to obtain a reliable idle, bypass the engine stop when gas pedal is disengaged, eliminate the engine cut when switching from F to R and adjust the governor to obtain 18-20mph.
If anyone has knowledge on how to accomplish my goals please post up.
Thanks.
tomakazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-12-2020, 08:09 PM   #2
tomakazi
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Changes to my gasser

Add to all that a smooth linear throttle.
Anybody out there with a working knowledge of this machine's systems?
Old 09-12-2020, 08:36 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

You don’t quite get a linear throttle with a CVT clutch system. Speed is dependent on clutch position and not throttle until the clutches are at their highest ratio. Once you reach that point only then will more throttle = more speed.
On the EFI carts you would need to jump the wiring at the throttle switch on the pedal. There are two switches in the throttle switch assembly, one for solenoid engage and one for ignition kill (coil circuit). Those would need to be modified to always be On with the Key On, which would make the engine start running as soon as the key is turned on.

The primary clutch may also need a stiffer spring installed for allow the engine to idle without dragging the belt. I know I can get our 15 Precedent to just barely idle by pressing the pedal, but I can feel it want to creep forward slightly. If the belt is dragging then leaving the engine idling for an extended time will burn out the belt, it will also make it difficult or impossible to shift with the engine running.

Third is going to be adjusting base idle speed. I don’t know what adjustments are on the throttle body of the EFI engine, but messing with anything related to the TB on the EFI setup can cause damage that may mean having to replace the TB. Which in the case of these carts, also means having to replace the ECU as the pair is matched at the factory. Last I saw replacement cost of the ECU and throttle body was near $3,000 so not something you want to Fork up by accident.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:32 PM   #4
tomakazi
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
You don’t quite get a linear throttle with a CVT clutch system. Speed is dependent on clutch position and not throttle until the clutches are at their highest ratio. Once you reach that point only then will more throttle = more speed.
On the EFI carts you would need to jump the wiring at the throttle switch on the pedal. There are two switches in the throttle switch assembly, one for solenoid engage and one for ignition kill (coil circuit). Those would need to be modified to always be On with the Key On, which would make the engine start running as soon as the key is turned on.

The primary clutch may also need a stiffer spring installed for allow the engine to idle without dragging the belt. I know I can get our 15 Precedent to just barely idle by pressing the pedal, but I can feel it want to creep forward slightly. If the belt is dragging then leaving the engine idling for an extended time will burn out the belt, it will also make it difficult or impossible to shift with the engine running.

Third is going to be adjusting base idle speed. I don’t know what adjustments are on the throttle body of the EFI engine, but messing with anything related to the TB on the EFI setup can cause damage that may mean having to replace the TB. Which in the case of these carts, also means having to replace the ECU as the pair is matched at the factory. Last I saw replacement cost of the ECU and throttle body was near $3,000 so not something you want to Fork up by accident.
Question:
Where is the "throttle switch" located exactly and do the 2 micro switches live there? All I have is an owners manual and a parts manual for reference.
Thank you for your help and patience.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:09 PM   #5
tomakazi
Getting Wild
Club Car

After finally procuring a wiring schematic I determined that since the micro switch/s at the gas pedal are encapsulated I disconnected the black/white wire at the plug connected to the position sensor and the cart will now run with the gas pedal back.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car