lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2020, 12:12 AM   #1
Adam Rico
Not Yet Wild

Default Drive clutch puller broke off

I just bought a 98 DS club car and I the previous owner only owned it for about 6 months so I k kw very little about the history. I was told the drive clutch needed to be replaced and a new clutch was provided but the bolt was broken off. I have tried PB blaster to soak it for several days and back it out (left hand threads) using a vice grip, pipe wrench to no avail. Upon looking closer, it appears that maybe the puller that was used had the bolt head broken off because there are threads on it that are visible just outside the clutch housing.

I think the puller should be right hand (traditional) threads and I have been able to get a good bite on it using an extractor type wrench with a cheater pipe after I’ve heated it up but it won’t budge.

My next thought is to pull the engine to get better access and leverage. Any other tips, insight to if it’s the bolt or the puller and more importantly how to get it off? What is the best way to pull the motor on this?
Adam Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-16-2020, 07:59 AM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Drive clutch puller broke off

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=104806
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 09:22 AM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

You don’t need to pull the engine. If the clutch is being replaced just knock it off with a hammer. It may help if you apply heat to the center shank of the clutch down near the crankshaft, but not necessary. Use a block of wood and give it a couple good whacks and it will usually pop off. Try not to beat up the pulley on the back in case you need to re-use that, but if the old clutch is toast, don’t worry about breaking it to remove it.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 03:35 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I was going to say the same thing. Beat the f***** off with a big hammer. Stay away from the smaller pulley fir the starter on the back of the new clutch doesn’t have one. If it does then whack away. These clutches are aluminum so fairly easy to bust apart. Usually after one or two good whacks and shrapnel it will just sorta fall off the rest of the way on its own.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car