lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-23-2020, 01:54 PM   #1
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default KF82 rev limiter disabling

Hey Guys,
I’ve looked in the sticky’s at the beginning of the category and saw something about the rev limiter, but i believe it’s referencing the FE290. I’m looking for info on disabling the rev limiter on my 89 Carryall with an original KF82 motor. Any experience with this task out there? I’m guessing its got something to do with the coil area and what looks like a relay near there but I’m not sure. Thanks.
Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-23-2020, 04:43 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: KF82 rev limiter disabling

You don’t want to over rev a KF82. They don’t like that.

They’re super reliable and strong for what they were designed for... golf cart at 12mph. Anything more than that you’re better off swapping in something else. They just don’t respond well to high RPM and when they do break, parts are long discontinued for it
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:01 PM   #3
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

A 1989 DS cart would not have had a rev limiter (?). 1990-91 carts had the rev limiter. Post some pics.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:27 PM   #4
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

I’m actually leaning that way CP. been looking at the HF clone a lot lately and the Vegas Carts kit. $1400+-for the pair. I know, buy once cry once, but the pucker factor is high. 😝
Old 12-24-2020, 07:32 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

On that cart I’d personally skip the Vegas carts kit. The clutch they sell is nice, I used one on the last close swap I did on an ezgo. But in your cart, the motor cradle is literally a big flat plane. There’s really no reason at all to buy a kit for that cart. Worst case scenario you may have to drill some new holes to get the distance right.

I used a lifan motor from Home Depot last time. Worked out great. I kept the key start setup and bought the motor with the 18amp charging circuit so I could run lights and stuff and not worry. It was super simple to wire into the cart and cheap. I spent more on the Vegas carts cradle and clutch than I did on the motor but in an ezgo the motor cradle is a bit more difficult to deal with so it was worth the extra cost. Even then it cost me a little over 1000 bucks for motor, cradle, clutch, belt, and everything I needed to make it a good running cart.
Old 12-24-2020, 08:36 PM   #6
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

When you are speaking about a predator is it the 420 or the 670 you are considering ?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 09:25 PM   #7
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

CP, did you do all the other changes I read about, like disengaging the governor and upgrading the valve springs on the Lifan?
Ray, I was talking about the 420, the twin cylinder is overkill for me. I just want to bring the cart up to a more typical motor size and capability. This old KF82 is sorely lacking. I’d be happy with 25 mph and a modern engine design.
Old 12-25-2020, 10:27 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I did nothing but bolt it in and bypass the oem speed governor on the axle. The only engine “modifications” I made was extending the wires from the key switch to the dash, and plumbing in a $1 vacuum fitting in the carb spacer to make the oem fue pump work on the oem fuel tank. It wasn’t super fast (20-22ish mph steady) but had a ton of torque to climb hills and rip through mud. It was loud and not exactly “my cup of tea” but I won’t say I’ll never swap another cart and won’t say it wasn’t fun to drive. I just personally prefer a stock cart and stock operation. I just like to cruise with the kids :)
Old 12-26-2020, 09:03 AM   #9
Maineiac
Getting Wild
Club Car

CP, do you favor the Lifan motor over the HF or others?
Old 12-26-2020, 10:18 AM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I picked the lifan solely because it has a higher current charging circuit. Most of those 420’s have a 2-3 amp circuit which is enough to run the motor and trickle the battery to start it the next time but that’s it. If you run lights or anything else it will discharge the battery faster than it will charge it. The more robust charging circuit on the lifan will let you run lights and stuff no problem.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LIFAN-1-...BDQC/203277131
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car