lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-25-2021, 07:30 PM   #1
CCDS93Craun
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart Will in Reverse but Not Forward

Hello I am new to the group, I picked up a 1993 Club Car DS with a predator 420 motor last year. This winter we thought it would be a good idea to hook a tube up to it and pull the kids around the neighborhood it was fun until the cart broke of course.

I replaced the belt thinking that I over loaded the cart and burnt the belt. the issue I have now is the cart will only driver in reverse. I disconnected the drive selection cable to assure I was getting all the way into gear however that did not help.

I jacked the cart up and put the cart in neutral and I could spin the wheels in both directions. When I put the cart into reverse it will spin the wheels, and the belt will sink into the driven clutch. When I put the cart into drive the cart Boggs down and the driven clutch locks up and nothing turns.

Anyone have any thoughts. I have seen a lot about electric carts doing this but not so much for gas carts. I really don't know if I want to take the trans axle off yet and open it up for a look but if that the last resort I guess I will. Thanks in advance for any help.
CCDS93Craun is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2021, 08:18 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Cart Will in Reverse but Not Forward

If you’ve disconnected the shift cable and manually shifted it, then there’s nothing else to do that I can think of but dig into the transmission.

Luckily on a 93 this is mega easy to do. Pull off the driven clutch, shift cable, and the governor cable. Then I believe it’s 3 bolts that hold the transmission onto the rear end. It’s the half on the top, separates from the axle and rear differential. I believe they used the same axle/diff on electric and gas carts, but had a standalone transmission to select forward and reverse bolted in instead of the electric motor. Not 100% sure but it definitely seems that way.

You can have the transmission out and on the workbench in about 10-15 minutes. Maybe 30 minutes tops if it is your first time. Super, super easy.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:19 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

And I do the same thing with my kids, but we use sleds because we don’t have a giant tube. Loads of fun and I stay toasty warm in the enclosure with the heater
Old 04-26-2021, 06:44 AM   #4
CCDS93Craun
Not Yet Wild

Thats what I was afraid of but I'm glad that it's not complicated to get out. I guess we will see what's going on. Thanks!
CCDS93Craun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:58 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

It should be pretty obvious once you open it up. There’s really not a whole lot going on in there. My guess would be the shift fork or synchro is worn and not engaging if it works in reverse but not forward.

Unfortunately, finding replacement parts may be difficult once you narrow it down. David Hicks at revolution directed me to J&M golf carts in Evans, GA when I needed a shift fork for my 2002. I couldn’t find one anywhere, even after a couple months searching on eBay. They were able to find me a good used one. Their number is (706) 855-8600
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car