lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2021, 12:27 PM   #1
Monstermaker
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Charging RXV while driving

I know the RXV shuts down during charging.
I’d like to carry a Honda generator and charge while driving (out in the Black Rock desert in Nevada).
Does anyone know what the issue is with that? Is it the regen braking?
Monstermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-27-2021, 12:58 PM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charging RXV while driving

Caveat, the RXV is weird... My experience may have nothing to do with what you can or cannot do with the RXV since it's more like a computer on wheels...

I have used a small 5 amp charger while driving my TXT. You have to get the small charger and connect it directly to the main battery pack.

You can't use the normal plug. You can't have such a large charger that there's a chance the charger plus regen would overvolt the pack and cause your controller to shutdown. My 5 amp small charger did great in the Christmas Parade. I was pulling a float and I passed many golf carts that ran out of juice as I trundled along. 5 amps doesn't sound like much but it really helped! I have no hills where extended regen has a chance to occur. If you are charging and have extended regen then it could be a real problem.

But again, the RXV is different than other EZGO carts so my TXT experience may have no value for you...
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 01:09 PM   #3
Monstermaker
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

It would be on perfectly flat level open desert.
I could look into a smaller charger
Old 04-27-2021, 01:09 PM   #4
SBIRD!
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I've no idea if it's safe or not to charge on the fly but since I started using a DPI charger the cart will power up and move while plugged in. Haven't moved it more than a few inches though.
SBIRD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 01:11 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

EZGO did an RXV hybrid (called the RXV Exceed) that charged with a gas engine driven generator while driving.

IIRC, there have been a solar panels added to RXVs.

Using a 48V charger that did not plug into the charger port would solve the shut off while charging issue. (Pack voltage is removed from the blue wire when charger is plugged into port is what shuts down the controller)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 02:06 PM   #6
Monstermaker
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Also, if it changes anything about this, I’m about to put in a Navitas controller. Should have mentioned that.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO