lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-27-2010, 09:56 PM   #11
GardinBuggy
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Charging System Help

Out to be used, we have a fleet of them. Over 100. We have some that are at 15 volts in less than 5 seconds, which is why I am going crazy. I have done all of the regular fixes for this problem. Replaced the batter, replaced the generator, replaced the VR... These are the oldest few we have, and this started with one and has blossomed into the mess I have now.
GardinBuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-27-2010, 09:59 PM   #12
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You may be down to switch with known good.
I hate that verbage. You end up throwing parts at it.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:02 PM   #13
GardinBuggy
Not Yet Wild

That is what I had concluded also, I have "my" cart, and planned on swapping the generators to see if the problem moves or stays. I am leaning towards a bad batch of generators.... The springs on the brushes are noticably smaller in thickness. Less pressure, that has been my answer to the increased RPM's creating a higher voltage...
Old 02-27-2010, 10:22 PM   #14
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Let us know so we can help others in the future.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #15
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Taylo Dunn used to buy G9-a's and put there steel bodies on them, never saw them do a G1? Might try these tests. The red and green wires (coming out of the starter/generator) are the charge coil wires, with an ohm meter you shold read 5 ohms. I would test the wire harness wires (red and green) for continuity from the starter generator to the voltage regulator and check the blck ground wire at the voltage regulator for correct ground voltage. Good luck Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #16
GardinBuggy
Not Yet Wild

Thnx smallblock, done all of the usual troubleshooting, even threw new parts at it just out of frustration.

These carts that have this gremlin in them are driving me crazy

The x-factor here is the over-revving of the engine, I have never seen this cause a non-charging system to charge. If the brushes are bad, this wouldn't make a difference. If the VR was bad, this wouldn't make a difference either.

If I could make sense of the over-revving, well, then I would have this figured out...LOL!
Old 02-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #17
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I have seen bad connections, especially bad grounds cause all sorts of wierd problems. It will cause top-notch techs to consider working at McDonald's. Have you carefully checked the ground path from the negative battery terminal to the frame, to the engine block, etc.? Being old units you may have a connection problem that is not as obvious as a broken or fuzzy/corroded terminal. We had a machine in the shop last week with a brand-new alternator that would not charge- due to paint on the mounting bracket insulating it from ground. Cleaned the mount and it works fine. Hidden corrosion and rusty frame/body panels will do the same.
Your suspicion that you may have a batch of defective starter/generators is a valid concern also. Try swapping with a known good unit. If that gets it up and charging someone has been selling you junk. If that doesn't work get out your voltmeter and start doing voltage drop tests to find the bad connection. Good Luck.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:07 PM   #18
GardinBuggy
Not Yet Wild

New symptom.... If I remove the Negative cable from the battery while the cart is running, the voltage climbs to the mid 14's and the cart remains running. As soon as I re-attach the cable the voltage plummits back to 12.7ish numbers and the cart remains running. Also, if I turn the headlights or wiper on while the cart is running with the negative cable off, the cart dies.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:49 AM   #19
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Wow. You have some unhappy electrons in that charging system. Swap out your starter/gen with a known good unit to make sure you are dealing with good components. If that doesn't work, start checking your connections. I strongly suspect this is your problem. Problems like this can really make you tear your hair out. Good luck.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha