lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-31-2010, 07:09 AM   #1
dspikes
Not Yet Wild

Default Gas G1... Ground stereo to frame or battery?

Will be installing an amplified audio system in my gas powered G1. I've read to ground it to the frame, and I've read NOT to ground it to the frame, only to the battery. Which is correct? Also, can I hook the acc. wire of the stereo to the unattached wire of the ignition switch? Will it run down the battery? Do these carts have some sort of alternator/generator to keep the battery charged? Forgive my ignorance, and thanks for the help.
dspikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-31-2010, 07:37 AM   #2
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Gas G1... Ground stereo to frame or battery?

G1's have a 10 amp fuse on the ground link to the frame. If you ground accessories to the frame and exceed 10A the fuse blows. You must run a dedicated ground wire to the battery for your accessories. Be sure to have a fuse on the power side for protection!
These carts have a starter/generator that acts as a starter to start the engine, then becomes a generator to charge the battery once the engine is running. Output is low, and you may drain your battery if you play the stereo a lot and don't run the engine enough to recharge the battery. Running a spare battery for the stereo might be a good idea. Lots of people here have done this, post a separate topic on how to install an audio system in your buggy. They will be glad to give you tips on how to do it.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
roady89
nimda
Club Car

The "Do not ground to frame" is for electric carts. You can ground t frame on a gasser just follow GMB's advice. Might be better to run a separate battery.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I just posted to another thread for the same thing. The frame is not grounded only for engine ignition/etc needs. I did ground my frame because my 55w lights only mount that way, it works ok but you can blow that fuse if your new frame ground fails....so I'd run a ground and be done with it.

The G9 I think is same generator it makes 15A but only at speed not idle. I would not use any of the stock wiring, if I did I would use a relay.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
chompy
Getting Wild

How much power will you be needing? Are you running just a stereo or using power amps? If so how many amps and what wattage? I've installed and used many different setups of stereo systems in carts with varied results. It all depends on your set up and usage.
chompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
dspikes
Not Yet Wild

chompy,

Thanks for the help!

These are the specs of the unit I'm considering (it's actually a motorcycle audio system) (These specs are for a 250w system, but they also make a 100w system). Both simply consist of a stereo amplifier which can be hooked up to a mp3 player, and a set of speakers.

Specifications of the 250 watt amplifier & radio receiver
Working Voltage 10-16V DC
MAX power @ 4 50WX2 +150w
RMS power @ 4 25WX2+65w
THD 75dB
Channel separation >45dB
Frequency response 20Hz-50kHz
Sensitivity 50mv
Frequency range 87.5--108MHz
Dot Matrix LCD FM frequency display
Usable sensitivity 5 v at S/N 26dB
Fuse rating 5A

Details for loudspeaker
Working Voltage 10-16V DC
VoiceCoil Impedance: 4
Resonc Frequency: 165HZ
Effective Frequency Range: Fo-12kHZ
Puiput Sound Pressure Level: 88dB
Rated Input Power: 15W
Max Input Power: 100W
Old 11-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
The "Do not ground to frame" is for electric carts. You can ground t frame on a gasser just follow GMB's advice. Might be better to run a separate battery.
Don't ground anything to the frame of a Yamaha. Just asking for trouble. Ground to the battery negative post.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:09 AM   #8
chompy
Getting Wild

250 watts is a medium amount of power and you shouldn't have to run another battery depending on how much you plan to play your stereo. A motorcycle battery is a lot smaller than your golf car battery. If you plan on playing your stereo at a campfire throughout the entire evening you may run into problems. If you plan on playing some tunes while out golfing you should be just fine. Everyone seems to have their opinon on grounding to frames. While it is true that problems can occur it is not impossible to use the frame as a ground, depending on your current draw, with out problems. The frame grounds through a 16 gauge wire so any accessory that requires a larger gauge and requires more than a 10 amp fuse should go directly to the battery. With your system only requiring a 5 amp fuse you should be just fine no matter where you ground. I have many carts that I work on where halogen lights are grounded through the frame with a 30 amp fuse in place of the 10 amp and they have been running that way for 20 years without problems. Your memory wire will run down the battery eventually......but very slowly.
chompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:08 AM   #9
dspikes
Not Yet Wild

Thanks! I'll keep you posted!
Old 11-02-2010, 07:40 AM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

My cart has been run with a pair of 55w driving lights grounded to frame since '99. I put a 10ga ground wire battery to frame. It is only way lights hook up or I would have wired them to ground. One time the connection on the ground went bad and the lights dimmed out, I turned them off quick and fixed it, amazed the fuse did not blow. The lights are fused on the positive side with whatever came with them a 20A I think maybe 25.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha