lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
wyatt3d
Not Yet Wild

Default convert a 36 or buy a 48?

I've decided on an electric cart for hunting / driving the kids around the lease (when it's dry only) and the neighborhood. I was thinking of buying a 36volt and converting it to 48, but the more I research it sounds like I just need to buy a 48. Am I off-base here? I don't see where the slight improvements in performance of a converted 36 versus a manufactured 48 are worth the extra expense.

The place I would normally use it is slightly rolling (no more than a golf course) but a little rocky.

Thanks for the input.
wyatt3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: convert a 36 or buy a 48?

All carts are designed for the golf course. The courses don't want the carts going fast so they all go about the same 12-14 mph.
If you want to add extra seating or put bigger tires on it you will need to upgrade the operating system regardless of the 36 or 48v base design. That being said ... the simplest increase in performance is gained by running a 36v motor on 48v. The cheapest way to do that is to buy a 48v cart and put a 36v motor in it. Of course there are lots of options & advantages to consider.

Good luck with your search
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

No matter which one you get, you're going to have to upgrade it. I would strive for a series cart, though. Like " scottyb " said, a 36V motor will give you the best performance running on 48V. Good hunting!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
wyatt3d
Not Yet Wild

I found a place in Houston that sells 2008/2009 48v Club Cars that have (upgraded programing?) with 6" lift, 12" aluminum wheels, and rear flip seats for about 4k. I rode in one with a 3 other guys (eh-hem, bigger guys) and was very impressed with the cart in regards to speed, torque, and battery life. My buddy that owned the cart said it ran around 20mph which is plenty fast enough for what I want to do (I think!).

All that said I don't want to leave anything on the table if I an get into a more powerfull cart at a cheaper price.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Wink Re: convert a 36 or buy a 48?

If you are happy with it then buy it. If the price is what you think is fare.
If you can turn wrenches then I would build one. You can build one much cheaper if you find a good platiform to begin with.
It's all in the person who is looking for the cart. I look for carts that need batteries. I figure if I'm going to spend my time on it I want new batteries installed to make it sell faster. I want the body and frame in good shape also. The rest can be fixed.
Some want carts with new batteries. But this adds to the price to begin with and they may not be the brand I want.
I just bought a 94 E-Z-GO for $100.00 that needs batteries and a new battery tray. + a good cleaning. By this summer it want be the same cart.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:28 AM   #6
wyatt3d
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Andy, I think I'll look for one to build. Cheaper and it actually sounds like a fun project for me and the kids. Plus I'll be forced to finally learn a little about electricity!
Old 12-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

There's a cart that's perfect for your needs for sale in your area........put a rear seat on it and paint or camo wrap and your done.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/golf-...ar-ds-48v.html
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #8
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Wink Re: convert a 36 or buy a 48?

Your welcome. The biggest thing for me is finding the time now to work on them. I found a Club Car at the beach already lifted but needed batteries for $1000.00. I never got over to check it out. Maybe next time if he still has it.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
wyatt3d
Not Yet Wild

I think I found my cart, all I know is it is a cheap EZ go. Here's the info off the frame, is this a good model? golf cart A401 1340620 , just need to make sure it's not a lemon model!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts