lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
tfeltman3
Not Yet Wild

Smile 87 ez go weak spark

i have a 87 ez go with weak spark and sometimes no spark this cart has been sittin up for a while i cleaned the carb but the spark seems to weak for it to start up this is my first cart so i dont know much about them so any help would be appreciated
tfeltman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
racin161
Gone Wild

Default Re: 87 ez go weak spark

WELCOMEFirst have you checked your compression 90lbs low 120lbs good. I understand you may have weak or no spark at times but check this first and get a NEW PLUG crank it and see what you have. You may also need to replace the coil wire to the plug which I would do. Let us know your findings after you've done this and we can go from there. ALSO more home work clean all the grounds at the battery-battery to frame-frame to engine this is very important. Hit us back
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
tfeltman3
Not Yet Wild

checked compression it is 120lbs cleaned all the grounds replaced the spark plug the coil wire seems to be made into the coil i cant seem to get it out of the coil still weak spark then no spark at all
Old 01-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

The spark plug wire is screwed into the coil. Before you start spending money on HEI mods unwind the HT cable, cut 1/2 inch off the end, squirt some WD40 in the coil and screw the HT cable back in. If that doesn't work we can look deeper or just replace the whole system for around $50

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
tfeltman3
Not Yet Wild

i unscrewed the ht wire from the coil and cut a half inch off gave the coil a shot of wd 40 and that didnt make any difference would the hei swap over fix this issue that i am having
Old 01-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
racin161
Gone Wild

Yep that's the route to go at this point without spending a ton of $$$$ just my opinion. Just remember after the install if it runs poorly just reverse the 2 pulsar wires sometime this happens don't know why but is does.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
tfeltman3
Not Yet Wild

i did the hei swap and now my cart runs great best 45 bucks i have ever spent thanks to everyone for all your help
Old 01-29-2012, 02:08 AM   #8
racin161
Gone Wild

GOOD LIVE N or good cart n another happy customer Enjoy

LOU
Old 08-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
kliebman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

What is an HEI?
kliebman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
kliebman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kliebman View Post
What is an HEI?
OK got that ,High Energy Ignition. The cart was running great, changed the battery still ran great, washed it and the motor and it stopped working barely had spark. Had the coil tested was told it was weak so replaced it. Cleaned all grounds and then I have replaced ignition box,ignition coil and pickup coil still get an inconsistant, weak spark. Pickup is gapped at .011. I noticed that there is a gap in the flywheel is it possible that there should be a magnet there? When I check the flywheel with a screwdriver it seems that 75% of the flywheel is slightly magnetized, is that supposed to be? I am about at the end of ideas for this it has been down for 4 weeks. Any ideas?
kliebman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO