lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
Riddle.brody
Not Yet Wild

Default Compression test and rear end rattle

I have an 83 ezgo gas that I have running quite well but im wanting to make sure it is in ship shape before I pull the trigger on lifting it and making it cool. I ran a compression test on it today and the needle was hovering just over the 100 mark. When I watched the how to video of how to do a compression test it showed the gauge and it held pressure even after they stopped turning the motor over and then they released the pressure with the bleed off valve. When I did my test today the needle went up to just above 100 but as soon as I stopped turning the motor over the pressure started bleeding off automatically and within 15 seconds it had bled off to 0. I'm sure the hose was screwed tight enough into the plug hole because I thought that might have been the problem at first so I tightened it up again and ran the test again with the same results.MY QUESTION IS: is this normal or does this mean I have a problem with my rings.

Now for the second issue... I am getting a rattling noise from behind me when I drive but it doesn't happen all of the time. I have read about some worn out clutches but how exactly do I tell if this is the problem?

Thanks in advance... If I get this things straightened out I have some big plans for this cart... Camo wrap, 23" tires on 12" wheels, a custom drop axle and coil overs in the rear to name a few.
Riddle.brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2012, 04:03 AM   #2
JayH
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Compression test and rear end rattle

Riddle Brody,
A compression tester's ability to record (or hold the highest pressure achieved during the test) is due solely to an internal check valve in the tester itself. That is the reason for the pressure relief in the tester as well.

What you are concerned with is the condition of your engine's rings and how well they seal to the cylinder wall during operation as well as valve condition and sealing ability to the valve seats. This is the pressure you are testing during the compression test.

Don't at all be concerned that the tester you are using will not hold the highest pressure (since you were able to witness the highest pressure there is no need for the gauge to hold pressure like there would be if you were using the compression tester in a car, and would need to exit, walk around to the open hood, locate the tester, and take your reading.)

Things are so much easier in a golf cart. :)

As far as your rattling... I have no idea. Wouldn't a stereo compliment the lift kit and make the rattling go away? (just kidding).

Jay
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The pressure reading coming down is not a defect on the cart engine. Check your compression tester.
worqhors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
Riddle.brody
Not Yet Wild

Ok so the tester itself was the problem... If you were in my shoes what would you do... Is that good compression or bad?
Old 07-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
JayH
Not Yet Wild

Your engine is fine.
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:26 PM   #6
Riddle.brody
Not Yet Wild

thanks everyone for the tips... i am going to create a new thread for the rear end rattle since it is kindof being overlooked in this thread. I will be posting a video clip so you can hear what i am talking about.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO