lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #1
CHEESEMAKER
Not Yet Wild

Default New belt issues

Ok, I installed a new belt on one of the carts. Since the old one was rather thin. But now its alot slower, and seems to be slipping somewhat. Is there any procedure in breaking in a new belt? I did a search and nothing came up.

Here is a picture of the old and new belts.

It used to just rip around the yard/neighborhood, but now it just plugs along. I could almost get out and walk faster. Is there any break in or prep I should have done? Am I missing somethings? The new belt is proper OEM size. Please help, camp is one week away. I need this cart running good.
CHEESEMAKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

There shouldnt be any break in at all. By the looks of your old belt it looks as if your driven clutch is stuck closed hence keeping it in first gear. Just my obsevation.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
Waynedizzle
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: New belt issues

U got the wrong belt lol
Waynedizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:59 PM   #4
CHEESEMAKER
Not Yet Wild

I didn't think there was any breakin period. I got to adjust the brakes on it this week, and while in my shop, I'll jack up the rear and watch the clutch with the new belt. I just went from lots of power, speed, and running just short of the rev limiter, to nothing. Like its in high gear and I'm lugging the motor.
I'm about to put the worn out belt back on.

And I forgot to mention, I had to put the old belt on last fall, when the cart blew its belt. Which was a challenge cutting it off. It was all wrapped around the clutch. And this old belt was off another non running cart I got. Both belts were the same condition and wear.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:28 AM   #5
DonoBBD
Not Yet Wild

Your primary spring is worn out or broke. What happens when you get much more speed or snap out of warn out belt your clutch weights get a run at the belt. Your up shift has momentum and shifts out fast for the weight of the cart. Just going to a wider belt your now grabbing the belt lower in the primary and more on the heal of the weight not on the tip.

If you had adjustable weights you should add weight to the heal and pull some out of the tip. There is really no such animal for carts so a new clutch spring would give you the best of both worlds. More RPM's to hold back the shift slowing the loading of the motor.

Easy quick fix is put the old belt back on. It is funny back in the day grass dragging sleds we would ET faster with a old worn out belt then with a new belt. Even now we shim the primary to just about .125" belt to sheave .030 roller to weight and over gear to ET faster in the grass with the diamond drive cats. Now with all the gear options we just gear it correct and run .020 and .020 and fly with weights to the rider.

Cheers Don.
DonoBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
CHEESEMAKER
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Don. These carts have all been neglected for many years, till I took over the maintaining them. I've never dealt with 2 strokes or CVT style of clutches and such. So, it's been a learning curve to say the least. So, I appreciate the info I've been given here. Thank you.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If it is a broken spring they dont make them for 88 and below ezgos. If they do i havent found one yet.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #8
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Even Though you just bought a new belt I would get a belt that is 1 in. shorter at Napa and it will fix your speed problems.
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey Doc whats the napa number for the 1 inch shorter belt?

Old 09-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Funny you asked I was just trying to look that up. What year is this cart? if its a 4 stroke then the number is a Napa 6098. Thats a Gates Sever Duty belt and runs about $30.00 give or take.
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO