lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
miller57
Not Yet Wild

Default 99 txt dies intermittently

It started the other day while in the woods. Runny half throttle and then go to full throttle it would die. The motor turns over but wouldn't go for a second or three. The. Picks up and goes and starts just fine but just dies out every on e and while. I can hear the solenoid clicking and doesn't matter if motor is hot or cold. I checked the ohms on the ignition and it was 3.2 which is above the range. I also checked the pulsar coil and it was only reading 22 ohms which is way under the range. I really don't want to just start replacing parts do you think both the pulsar and ignition coils could both be bad and still run.
Thanks in advance.
miller57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 99 txt dies intermittently

Does it run good first thing in the day then get worse after running for a while? If so I would bet on the coil being bad. I have run across bad coils doing this on 4 or 5 carts over the past 2 years.
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
miller57
Not Yet Wild

Thinking back it would do it after using it for awhile. Now it does it when you only run it for 1 min and some times it takes 20 mins to act up. I think I will start with a coil.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:05 AM   #4
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Does it run perfectly well with the choke on? If so, its a fuel issue.
worqhors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
miller57
Not Yet Wild

The choke doesn't matter if u choke it u can smell the fuel.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
miller57
Not Yet Wild

Looking at the diagram attached the secondary side of the ignition which would be the spark plug wires ends? I should be getting the 10.8 to 14.6 ohms correct. I just want to make sure I was testing it right.
When I test the primary I’m getting the 3.2 which is out of range to start with.
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (102.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
miller57
Not Yet Wild

She completely died last night. Tried to run around the neighborhood and got down the drive and died. I pulled one of the plugs and no spark. Now before I go replacing parts can someone tell me what the pulsar coil does exactly? Would it cause the ignition coil not to fire?
Here are some pictures of what the ohms were on the ignition coil on the primary.
The second is the pulsar coil ohms.
They both are out of the range of what they are supposed to be.
The pulsar coil is supposed to be around 400 and I have 22.
Should I start with the ignition coil first?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1780.jpg (116.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1782.jpg (144.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Like I said before you can't always trust what the ohms reading is on a coil so throw out the ohms meter and buy a coil and it will fix your trouble 90% of the time.
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #9
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Here's a quick run down of the whole ignition system: The pulser coil sends an alternating current pulse to the igniter at the instant that a magnetic tab on the flywheel passes by it. When it receives this pulse, the igniter then cuts off the ignition coil's connection to ground. When the ground connection is removed, the electricity that was passing through the coil's primary windings is induced (as a result of the coil's magnetic field collapsing) into the secondary windings (at a much higher voltage)- and then this "charge" travels to ground through the spark plug wire and plug. So- if anything is wrong with the pulser, ignitor or coil, there is no spark.
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
miller57
Not Yet Wild

Well I bought an new ignition coil and didn't work I guess it's the pulsar now. There went $130 on the coil and the pulsar another $170 bucks. I hope that fixes it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO