lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #11
ryanjap33
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 83 Marathon. Intermittent spark.

I just tested my ignition coil and found out you should get about 3.2 to 4.7 ohms of resistance between the orange and green wires.

If it is the coil be aware that I just purchased a brand new one that tested bad out of the box. If I were to do it again I'd probably do the hei mod.

Just my 2 cents
ryanjap33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #12
Race Chaser
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjap33 View Post
I just tested my ignition coil and found out you should get about 3.2 to 4.7 ohms of resistance between the orange and green wires.

If it is the coil be aware that I just purchased a brand new one that tested bad out of the box. If I were to do it again I'd probably do the hei mod.

Just my 2 cents
Thanks. I will check it tonight. Where did you get the bad one from?
Race Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #13
Race Chaser
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I got 4.7 ohms between the orange and green coil wires . I also re-cleaned the ground and ordered a 5 foot X 1/2" braided ground cable to separately ground the engine. Should have it by the end of this week or early next week.

In the mean time, where is the best place to hook the ground to the engine?
Old 09-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #14
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

i have 79 and mine is bolted to one of the bolts the hold the flywheel shround to the frame on the passenger side. yours should be similar.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #15
devon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

the coil is 110 and it is an after market, check to see if the plug wire has a good connection to the coil, they like to fray and corrode on older models, i have an 83 also, the 3 wheel, just locked it up, and if all is good there and crankseals, rings, and reed valves are good fork it up and do not take the $60 one from advanced or autozone, they run on a totally different type of electrical output.
devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #16
Race Chaser
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by devon View Post
the coil is 110 and it is an after market, check to see if the plug wire has a good connection to the coil, they like to fray and corrode on older models, i have an 83 also, the 3 wheel, just locked it up, and if all is good there and crankseals, rings, and reed valves are good fork it up and do not take the $60 one from advanced or autozone, they run on a totally different type of electrical output.
Thanks for the response/advice. I just ordered a new spark plug wire. The one that's in it looks like the orginal. With the engine grounded, a new plug wire, the grounds cleaned up, I'm hoping it fixes the problem. If not, I'll try a new coil.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #17
Race Chaser
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Got the ground cable today. It took 2 days to get here! Got it hooked up and I am taking the cart out this weekend. Will report back whether I had problems or not.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #18
Race Chaser
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Got the new spark plug wire and installed it yesterday. Cart worked good Friday night, no problems, but it died Saturday and wouldn't restart until this morning when I unloaded it from the trailer. Looks like I'll be buying a coil for it...... Any suggestions on where to get one? Thanks.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #19
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If you are on a tight budget, go ahead and do the HEI upgrade- for about $55, you'll have a new coil and a new ignition module.
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #20
Race Chaser
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyerik View Post
If you are on a tight budget, go ahead and do the HEI upgrade- for about $55, you'll have a new coil and a new ignition module.
Great idea. I think I will. If anyone else is looking to do the HEI upgrade, check this thread first: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...3pg-carts.html. Its geared towards the 3PG engine, but it looks like it will work with the 2PG engine also.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO