lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
dodgepa
Not Yet Wild

Default crank seal

How hard is it to change the crank seal? I already have the drive clutch off.
dodgepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: crank seal

Well you have broken the back of the job, now just winkle it out (I used a large screwdriver as a pry bar). Be careful not to damage the face on the crankcase but it doesn't matter if you mangle the seal getting it out. I recommend some Loctite Blue bearing seal on the metal surface (to help prevent it blowing out) and some 2 stroke oil on the rubber surface. Then tap it in gently making sure it goes in square. Of course both seals wear at the same rate so you should also change the fan side as well.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
ryanjap33
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Changing the fan side is just as easy as the clutch side...

Once you get the flywheel off that is!

Soak it with penetrating oil. Take the two center Phillips pan head screws out of the center of the flywheel as these threaded holes are there for this purpose. From there I used m6 allthread and a small gear puller.

Be careful not to damage or lose the woodriff key or pulsar coil that is behind the flywheel
ryanjap33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
preciador6
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjap33 View Post
Changing the fan side is just as easy as the clutch side...

Once you get the flywheel off that is!

Soak it with penetrating oil. Take the two center Phillips pan head screws out of the center of the flywheel as these threaded holes are there for this purpose. From there I used m6 allthread and a small gear puller.

Be careful not to damage or lose the woodriff key or pulsar coil that is behind the flywheel
will i mess anything up when i pull it off? does it have a right or wrong way to go back?Do i have to remove the pulsar coil?
preciador6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

1. You will not mess anything up
2. The flywheel is on a key to align it with the crankshaft, it can only go on one way. On the seals the rubber side goes towards the engine, the metal lip is on the outer side.
3. Yes you will have to remove the pulsar. Just mark where it was with a scribe or a sharpie so you can get it back in the same place and maintain the timing.

The flywheel will probably be rusted on but plenty of PB Blaster and determination and it will pop off.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
preciador6
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
1. You will not mess anything up
2. The flywheel is on a key to align it with the crankshaft, it can only go on one way. On the seals the rubber side goes towards the engine, the metal lip is on the outer side.
3. Yes you will have to remove the pulsar. Just mark where it was with a scribe or a sharpie so you can get it back in the same place and maintain the timing.

The flywheel will probably be rusted on but plenty of PB Blaster and determination and it will pop off.

Dave
Thanks Dave
Old 10-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
preciador6
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Yup it was gone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0998.jpg (211.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0999.jpg (216.1 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO