lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
wackman69
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default A bunch of total Newb Questions..

So, as of today I am a proud new golf cart owner. I rescued this cart from a field behind some dudes house. Def a fixer upper and a long winter's project.

Anyhow on with the questions. First of all, I searched my serial number on ezgo's website to find out what year cart I have. It told me that I had a 93 with a 4 cycle engine. Well, it was wrong about one part right away. The cart I have has a 2 cycle engine. This brings me to question:

#1 How do I tell what series of engine I have? 1pg? 2pg? 3pg? robin? The more research I do, the more confused I am...
#2 I took it to a guy that works on carts quite regularly and he said it was a mid 70s cart. How can ezgo website and this guy be so far off. I do have to agree with him to an extent. It does look much older than a 93. I really need to pin this down so I know what belt to order because the one on it is from a snowmobile and does not quite engage properly.
#3 What is the name of the contact switch that goes behind the rod attached to the gas pedal that is mounted inside the engine compartment, which tells the cart to fire when the pedal is depressed.
#4 What would cause the cart to fire and operate fine in forward but when reverse is selected the engine will barely make a revolution and not even come close to firing. (Is it possible for the internal starter/generator to function normally one direction but fail in another?)

I hope I posed these questions correctly. Please don't flame me too bad. I don't spend a lot of time on forums and do not always no all the do's and don'ts. Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.
wackman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you could post the serial number and a pic of your cart then we know extactly what we are working with to better answer your questions.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:27 AM   #3
racin161
Gone Wild

Default Re: A bunch of total Newb Questions..

Wheres the ID plate mounted passenger side below glove box ? give us model and serial number.
MIRCO switch mounted to the frame and controlled by the peddle.If it's starting the switch is good look at cleaning all the ground cables.
Post a pic of the engine compartment if possible location of the fuel tank and muffler location can also tell a lot.
Is the starter/generator mounted on top of the engine? If so it's 80 and above.
Don't worry about the belt as some snow mobile belts interchange.

Welcome to BGW
LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
wackman69
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Pictures to follow.
The switch is bad, I had to bypass it.
Starter generator is internal.
The belt wants to jump the pulley so I know its not the right length.

Serial # is 760614 in one box on the plate. In the other box is TI2206

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4780.jpg (196.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4781.jpg (195.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4785.jpg (204.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4787.jpg (220.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4788.jpg (196.1 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by wackman69; 10-18-2012 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 10-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

You sir are the proud owner of a 1976 Marathon, 2PG early-style engine (internal starter/generator, points ignition, etc) - the belt you need fits 76-86 and is 1 3/16"X45" (although a Dayco HP3004 belt will give you a slightly better torque curve, snappier accelleration, etc - that's up to You) ... The microswitch is also a standard item, BTW

The starter issue *could* be as simple as worn brushes (and let's hope so as parts for these internal S/G's are next to impossible to find other than the brushes) - also it wouldn't hurt to check and clean ALL your connections at the F/R switch, and also to spray the switch assembly out with electronics cleaner then electronics lube while working it back and forth (with the battery disconnected, of course) to clean the contacts and ensure a good electrical path. Also, make SURE to pull all the ground wires at the frame, engine, etc and clean them up real good - bad grounds are generally where most electrical issues begin with these older carts.

Get that electrical path cleaned up and we can go from there !!!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
preciador6
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

You 2 guys are good!!!
preciador6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
wackman69
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Brew City. I like that the switch is a standard item, but where can I get one. I have found a few switches, but none of them are quite the same as the one I have.

Also, I question the points ignition as I do have a coil attached to the top of the motor.

Also I am still leery about the belt, why when cross referencing my serial number would it come up so much newer on their site.

Please understand that I am not underestimating your observations, just seeking some more clarification before I put in my parts order, def don't want to have to order 3 different belts before finding one that works.

Thanks again...
Old 10-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
rollsteam
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Welcome to BGW and congradts on your new cart they are addictive!
rollsteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Any cart place will have the microswitch (insert plug for site sponsors here) - the belt size is standard from 76-86 and I'm not sure where You looked your serial up at, but it's definitely a 76 serial, the engine, exhaust, cart, etc are all confirmations of the year.

The coil is there in ALL systems, electronic OR points/condenser ... In an electronic system, the pulsar/igniter create the signal to the coil and the coil then sends high voltage to the plug to make it fire. In YOUR system, the points and condenser send the coil a signal telling it when to zap the plug and create spark - EZGO never made an electronic system with the internal starter/generator setup (and especially not as early as 76) so all is good ...

If you still have fears, do the smart thing and CALL instead of ordering online - most of the sponsors on the site (or most any reputable cart supplier) can correctly ID the serial as a 76 and will also be there to make SURE you get the parts you need ...
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
wackman69
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks again Brew City, sincerely appreciate the input!!

Tags
ezgo, gas, marathon
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO