lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #11
sockethead
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 Ezgo 2pg with pinion gear out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basser View Post
The motor will turn and is not seized, I pulled the plug and shot oil in it and it will turn. The guy who gave it to me swears it was running when the rear end went out.

Man, is that your shop?, it looks like you could eat off that work bench!!
I WISH that was my shop !All I have is a shed and a crappy 1 car garage...
sockethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-04-2012, 02:21 AM   #12
Basser
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I can turn it by hand, and with the plug out it gets a little stiff at one spot during the rotation. I don't quite understand why it would do this with the plug out. Maybe I need to squirt more oil into the cylinder. That starter is " dead as a hammer ", as I touched the charger to all four terminal connections on the starter.
Still not sure what I am going to do here.
Basser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #13
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

There may be a coating of rust in the upper section of the cylinder- so friction/drag increases when the rings rub through it.
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #14
Basser
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So you think the piston and the rod are okay here if I can turn it by hand and probably the block's alright?
Old 11-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #15
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

It is hard to say if the rings/cylinder are Ok without doing a compression test. It is a good thing that the piston is not seized in the cylinder.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #16
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

only help i can give is;;i have had a newer cart,and now have a old 85 marathon and ive had my doubts about,but this thing just runs so good after a few tricks ive learned from this site that i really like it..uses hardly any fuel in 4 hrs of non stop driving..the 2 stroke is so forgiving that my crank bearings are shot but it still runs like a champ lol...id say get it running and enjoy it

by the way,you can grab the clutch on the motor with your left hand on the pass side of the cart and when you pull on it you will feel how the crank bearings feel real kwik..i cant belive mine are so worn but still runs 22-23 mph with 22-11x10 wheels..

now,if your mechanically inclined get to tackeling the pinion and ring and be sure to set it up correct the first time..if you dont feel good with doing it get someone to help that has more knowledge,,and tools..you must have a magnetic base dial indicator to get it done basically..if you dont change your own u joints in cars and brakes etc etc you may want a buddy with good skills

a 200 buck rebuild and they say the 2 stroke will go another 15 or more yrs ive been told..i like it
sassycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #17
Basser
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cat, You made my day!!, probably won't tackle it for a bit, got to get my other one going first. My thoughts on the rear end are, I'll most likely swap out the complete rear end for a used one.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #18
Basser
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The starter was apparently frozen up, I took the belt off and spun it by hand both ways and I finally got it freed up. After I shot more oil in the sp hole I got it spinning it in forward, but not so easy in reverse. I think I got it where I can get a compression reading, but it still seems to bind up while in reverse. Is there more compression while in reverse? I had the plug out of it.
Is this a bad sign?
Old 11-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #19
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Compression should be the same in reverse. I would guess that you have an electrical issue that is keeping the starter from easily spinning the engine in reverse. Maybe one of the cables to the starter is bad or has a poor/loose connection or the contacts in the big forward/reverse selector switch might be corroded.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #20
Basser
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

When I turn it by hand I can feel it bind up while I make a revolution in reverse. It as if there is a tight spot as it makes it's full revolution . However, it will spin until the charger's overload will cut out (100 amp start ) feature. After I worked with it I got it spinning pretty free. I notice when I turn it by hand I can feel the tight spot, only in reverse!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO